I could use some advice...

89villain

Cadet
I went to check on my boat after all this rain and my automatic bilge pump had crapped out. My boat
sunk in the marina. I pumped it out and got it to float again and rowed it to the launch.
I guess I'm looking for some advice on what to do. I refuse to start it until I get fresh oils in it but I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks everyone,
Brian

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I could use some advice...

Give us some more info. I/O or Outboard? What kind of boat and was it completely submerged?

89villain

Cadet

89 24ft chaparral villain 3 7.4l "454mag" water over the motor aswell as inside of it. Pulled dipstick and water came out of it.

Bondo

Staff member

89 24ft chaparral villain 3 7.4l "454mag" water over the motor aswell as inside of it. Pulled dipstick and water came out of it.

Ayuh,... Drag it ashore,...
Drain every cavity in the barge, including all it's components,..
Refill those that need refillin',...
Keep yer fingers crossed, 'n Light it...

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Change the oil, pull the plugs and purge any water out of the cylinders. Then you are going to want to run some dry gas or Seafoam through the carb and it wouldnt hurt to change your fuel/water separator and fuel filter before firing it.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is the gas tank full of water? BTW - Got any pics?

LK

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Like mentioned above, pull the plugs, changed the oil, etc then get it started asap. I would suggest running it off a auxiliary tank - like a 6 gal plastic outboard tank.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Salt water of fresh? If it's salt you can write off all the wiring that was submerged and the starter motor and alternator. Fresh, you may get away with it.

Stern drive or inboard? If it's a stern drive, then you'll need to pull the drive and replace the gimbal bearing and unis too.

Chris.........

89villain

Cadet

View attachment 118748
View attachment 118749
View attachment 118750
View attachment 118751

here the pictures that i have of it. allstate has been doing a great job of keeping me updated. they did say they are most likely going to total the boat though.

the boat was sitting in some deep mud so im not to sure about needing to redo the gimble bearing. atleast i hop i dont have to. what should i look for as far as that goes? also should i check out the wood in the transom area or is it completly fiberglass. i cant stick my head far enough under the motor to be able to tell.
thanks,
brian

Bondo

Staff member

the boat was sitting in some deep mud so im not to sure about needing to redo the gimble bearing. atleast i hop i dont have to. what should i look for as far as that goes? also should i check out the wood in the transom area or is it completly fiberglass.

Ayuh,... Ya never said whether this is Saltwater, or sweetwater,..??

the drive has to come off to drain the gimbel bearing cavity, ya can access the condition of the bearing then...
It'll atleast need a good Greasin'...

The wood in the transom is the Least of yer worries,... ya it's wet,...

I'd yank the boat, 'n pull the drive, 'n motor... Much easier to work on, outa the hull...
You, or Somebody's got Alota work to save that, IF it's sweetwater....
If it's saltwater, it's All, already scrap...

89villain

Cadet

It was in freshwater. I had it out before I posted the thread. Probably sat for 2 days at most.
The motor turns over but I haven't started it yet. All fluids have been replaced along with resnol in the oil.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

This response is after the fact:
Get 2 big pumps, 1500+, wire each to its own battery, thru its own float switch.
Install a backup alarm, motorcycle horns, or anything else that makes noise or lights up , (rotating beacon).A additional float switch(high water level) to operate the above.
Drain everything, remove drive, run with a portable tank.
Do it quickly, the longer it stays wet the worse it gets.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... Probably sat for 2 days at most.....

BIG mistake!!!! Once an engine's been wet you have a few hours to get into it in order to save as much as possible. When I bore and then clean blocks I can watch the oxide forming on the clean metal in a matter of minutes.

I would say that a lot of that engine is now scrap... Sorry for your loss.

Chris..........