How to Adjust trottle and shift cables on 3.0L w/alpha 1

PJK1979

Cadet
Hello, I have searched here and other online sites as well as my manual on how to do this. Since I dropped the lower to change the water pump the boat makes a large clunk when shifting in to F and R. I think it just needs the cables adjusted.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to Adjust trottle and shift cables on 3.0L w/alpha 1

Ayuh,... It's an Alpha,... They always Clunk....

If it's properly shiftin' into, 'n outa the gears as it should, it Ain't cable adjustments...

What are ya idlin' at,..??
What else did you do to it,..??

PJK1979

Cadet

The tach keeps jumping but in N it is idling right around 700rpm. I just checked it and to get it to shift into R the control is half way back. Then it is stalling coming out of R.

cr2k

Captain

Most likely bad lower shift cable.

PJK1979

Cadet

It all worked fine until I replaced the impeller, I put is back togther wrong realized that and took it aprt and put back together correctly. I'm wondering if I somehow throw of the cable adjustment but trying to shift it when shift shaft was not aligned correctly.

Bondo

Staff member

It all worked fine until I replaced the impeller, I put is back togther wrong realized that and took it aprt and put back together correctly. I'm wondering if I somehow throw of the cable adjustment but trying to shift it when shift shaft was not aligned correctly.

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think ya Bent something, rather than threw the cable outa adjustment,...
Unless it was enough to screw up the cable itself...

Pull the drive, 'n manually see if it shifts properly...
Then look over the linkages on the bellhousin', 'n make sure the cables doin' it's thing...

How'd ya figure out ya screwed up the 1st time,..??

PJK1979

Cadet

It was stuck in gear after it reassembled...

PJK1979

Cadet

Ok I figured it out... I'm a dumb !@# When I put the back together after changing the impeller the control was in N and the lower was in drive. I took it apart and had to flatten the washer but didn't realize I had bent the linkage that the shift shaft goes into. I bent that back this morning and it shifts great!!!!

Thank you all for your help and input on this I have not been around boats in years.