How bad does this look?

willieq

Cadet
I am not finding any water in the oil. Water is leaking from this crack. can this be repaired or time for new engine? Anything I can do to get one more season out of this? IMG_1344.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: How bad does this look?

Welcome aboard!

What engine is that?

I've never done it myself - but others have posted having good results with fixing external cracks. Grind out the cracked area good and clean, then slather it with JB Weld or Marine Tex.

willieq

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome. Its a 3.0 4 cylinder mercruiser. I just pulled the exhaust manifold off this AM. If anyone has never done this before--Its heavy as hell!.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have never done this before . . .

Looks like a cracked block. New short block would be good for you.

Bondo

Staff member

I am not finding any water in the oil. Water is leaking from this crack. can this be repaired or time for new engine? Anything I can do to get one more season out of this? View attachment 116412

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

It looks to me, that's it's already been epoxied, once before...

Clean all the previous repair off the block to clean metal,'n slather on another coatin',...
It'll run Forever that way, so long as it ain't gettin' into the oil....

willieq

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

It looks to me, that's it's already been epoxied, once before...

Clean all the previous repair off the block to clean metal,'n slather on another coatin',...
It'll run Forever that way, so long as it ain't gettin' into the oil....

Thanks Bond-O. I will do that. Im new to this boating thing but so far I love it.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like you might have two cracks, one old one new? Looks like they painted over the first repair. I have never woked on a motor like that... we did rig a v6 Buick with similar cracks. Clean very well with acetone, Then jb weld. Grinding a v should help. We also ran with no t-stat thinking it would keep from building water jacket pressure. Not sure if that was necessary but it did run for 3 years that way until "other things" retired the boat.