Heights of Chieftains vs. Islanders?

59Thompson

Seaman
All, I've been lurking here for some time and have to say this site has a great group of really helpful folks with a wicked sense of humor and a lot of knowledge. I'm thinking about buying a Starcraft and it looks like an 18' foot outboard would be what I could easily tow and launch and fit into my garage. I'm seeing real advantages in the cabin styles as I'm close to Lake Erie but would like to be able to keep her in my garage over the winters. Do you know what the total height from keel to windshield top on the Chieftains vs. Islanders is, what are the advantages of one style over the other and lastly would it be hard to just take off the windshield each fall, then reinstall in the spring? I have a "standard" garage door which gives me 84" ground to door frame. I realize trailer height will make a difference, too. And yeah, I have a wooden boat, a 59 Thompson Peshtigo SeaCoaster 473 with a 62 Gale 40 I'm working on now for spring. Substitute CPES for GluVit and silicon bronze bolts for rivits and its pretty much the same issues you guys have faced. I haven't varnished yet, but I'm thinking I will like Rustoleum better in the long run. ;) Thanks for any guidance you can provide. Regards, John

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Heights of Chieftains vs. Islanders?

While I cannot give you any advice on your coating and paint questions, I can on your boat selection. I also have an Islander and live near lake erie. I did move up from an 18 to the 22 ft Islander, smartest move I ever made ! My Islander sets exactly 8' from the ground to the top of the windshield while sitting on the trailer. I am guessing the keel is 18" from the road as it sits on the trailer. Of the two choices, the Islander windshield would be the easier to remove and in my opinion the Islander would be the better choice boat. Reason being no one wants to sit in the cabin while riding on a hot summer day, the Islander has far more open area room. The cuddy is great for the porta potty as attested to by wife and daughter. It is also a place to throw some extra jackets, cooler for food etc to keep them dry and out of the way. I have a large bimini top to shade the seating area on hot days. The Islander is the better choice for a fishing craft if that is your interest. Mine is the 140 hp 3.0 I/O which is more fuel efficient than my 75 hp O/B on my 18 ft. A bit more work yes....but if you are handy not that big a deal. As a fellow lake erie cruiser the Islander would be my choice hands down....

Airshot

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

It will also depend on the trailer, some trailers let the boat sit low some higher. Look at what comes along and see if it will fit in your parking space. I run a 21' Cheiftain. I will try and measure it if I get a chance. My shop door is 12'x12' so I have never measured it's height while on the trailer.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Starchief, I'm not real sure what the difference is between a 18' Chieftan and 18' Starchief, is pretty close to 84" from ground to top of roof rails, 96" to top of windshield. That is with it sitting on the trailer pretty level. The windshield is held on with 10 screws. The first time taking it off would probably be the hardest, as all the screws on mine were just rusted blobs. With good, clean hardware it should be much easier.You could also reduce the height by putting smaller wheels on the trailer for garage storage.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Or, you could build a boat house;)

(that's on my agenda)

The basic difference between the Chief and the Islander is deck space traded for cabin space. If you want more deck space, go for the Islander. If you want more cabin space, go for the Chief.

Rock on!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There is no 18' Islander. There is a 19' Islander http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Raystown/IMG_0957.jpg although I can't say that I've seen an outboard one. The only 19' I've seen have been "newer" in the grand scheme of SC's (like 1990ish). The 18' cabin models I believe were all called Starchiefs and there were I/O and outboard models. I don't think they made though much past the early 80's. I don't think any of these would fit under a standard height garage door.