boaterdepressed Blown motor or not?

boaterdepressed

Recruit
I have a 2005 90hp mercy oil injeted motor. I was told the 1 & 3 cylinder have no compression and the motoris blown and would have to be rebuilt at a cost of 5200.00. I am somewhat mechanical and am having a hard time with that answer. The motor still runs, it never stopped running it just would die out when running on a high rpm. Could it be something leaking passed and not need a total rebuild?

Thanks,
boaterdepressed

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boaterdepressed Blown motor or not?

Heck, you can buy a 2011 used 90 hp Merc with a warranty for $6700 on Iboats.com. A 2011 slightly used 75 hp is just about the cost of what you've been quoted.

That's a pretty new motor for so much mechanical damage. With only pistons, connecting rods and a crankshaft as moving parts, there's not that much to go wrong with 2 strokes.

I would think that if it'll even get to high rpm's, more than 2 cylinders would have to be working. Find yourself a good independent marine mechanic for an engine analysis.

Get your chin up--Depressed. It's just money.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I dont think its blown as if you had no compression on 2 cylinders it would be HARD to stat, idle like s**t if at all and never even come close to running wide open. Sound more like a fuel delivery issue or carb problem. Heck I can sell ya a reman powerhead with 2 year warranty for $2500

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to say welcome to this forum. Hopefully you'll see postings that can save you time and money on engine problems.
These guys have great knowledge, and often have resources to help you.

Good luck with your engine.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Do yourself a faor, borrow a screw-in compression tester and remote starter button from your local auto-zone or go buy them at Sears.

Hook the starter button up to the starter relay, leave the key turned OFF, remove all the spark plugs, screw the tester into one cyl, hit the button to crank the motor over, stop cranking when the needle/pressure stops rising, and write down the compression.

Repeat test on all cyls.

If the pressures are all within 10% of each other your do NOT have a blown motor,

You may have a faulty fuel pump, hose, or fitting, or dirty carbs.

Test compression, Post the #'s here and we will advise you what to check next.