Spider cracks in gel coat Question

Jamie 10017

Seaman
I have a few spider cracks in my gel coat, my question is what can I do to keep them from spreading or running I know I need to grind them out and fill them. But what or anything can be done to keep them from just continue to run or spread. What is the best filler to use I want good stuff not something that is going to fall out.I will paint the boat with Interlux Perfection when all is done. Thanks Jamie

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spider cracks in gel coat Question

A good wet sanding with 3m quality grade wet dry sand paper is all that is needed, start coarse to fine ending in 320 grit. after sanding wash hull with soap& water, rinse at least twice, let dry air blow hull, for any deep cracks fill with tigers hair type fiberglass filling, sand spots smooth use tack cloth over hull, coat spots with a good marine grade primer, let dry, wet sand hull with 400 grit, wash hull let dry completely, wipe down with clean cotton cloth & thinner/reducer, top coat 3 coats.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hang on here........we need to know what caused the crazing before we can determine the repair process properly.

crazing is caused by different things. in some cases the fibreglass must be repaired or the crazing will continue again.

the best filler...is more gellcoat. once you start to go down the road of paint.....you cannot go back without a full hull sanding.

click the link in my thread......search the index for a simple gellcoat reapir.....its easy to do.

but we need pics of the cause of the crazing

Jamie 10017

Seaman

The cracks are around the dash one is about 2 in off the floor doesnt look like anything has hit the places . The boat is 25 yrs old just showing its age

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops is so correct. You need to find out what is causing the cracks. It's not cause of age and you can't dismiss it as that. There is a failure somewhere. It needs to be corrected first. Covering it up will only cause it to show back up. It's like just painting over any crack. It will just show back up.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The cracks are around the dash one is about 2 in off the floor doesnt look like anything has hit the places . The boat is 25 yrs old just showing its age

Crazing and Cracking are two different things .. you say spider cracks .. that is yet another thing.

Stress Cracks/Spider cracks/Impact cracks/Crazing etc. are All different. And they are caused by different things.

Most surface cracks come from fasteners ( drill holes that were not done correctly ).

So to answer you question to stop cracks to go further.. there is a trick ( sometimes works but sometimes is needed depending on the application ). 1/8 drill bit at the Ends of the crack to stop the migration. Typically drilled out to 1/2 of the thickness of the glass in that spot.

Then grind out your crack repair with mohair or tigerhair ( not bondo products ).

Hope this helps.

YD.