how to replace impaler(Water pump) in my 60 Hp 1992 two stroke ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to replace my 60 Hp 1992 two stroke ?

Please explain what you want to do. . .in detail. . .freedom.

freedom49

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry missed the important word . just want to know how to change the impaler ? any geer to disconect? thanks

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

It's tricky but do-able. Put your motor in neutral, remove the 4 or 5 bolts in the lower unit, remember, there may be one hidden up under the anode, then drop it down. Sometimes it take a wiggle or some persuasion to get it loose. Getting to the impeller will be easy to see and figure out, just don't lose the key when you pull it, I think there are a couple of bolts to remove the top plate. Slide the new impeller over the shaft and insert the key, also lube the water pump and impeller with dishwashing liquid, I was always told not to use oil. Be sure to twist the impeller into place in the same direction as rotation. Reassemble in reverse order, you may have to wiggle the power head flywheel to get the teeth to mesh, just never turn the lower unit shaft backwards once the impeller is installed. Getting the shift shaft to mesh is usually tricky and always have a second guy handy. I did it but I'm no pro, fortunately I had some help.

freedom49

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks but can you explain the "shift shaft" part? thanks for your help SID

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The shift shaft is the shaft coming down from the engine to the foot that controls the transmission which is in the foot.The important part is that you dont change the gear position while the foot is off, If you do the motor shift position will be out of sink with the tranny.

freedom49

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your time and reply ,now ready to start!