had to sand new float ..so it would work properly

alstone89

Cadet
I just installed a new carb kit and float in my 1962 18hp johnson and after i put it back together it would not take in the fuel when i compared the new float to the old cork one it was about a 16th of a inch to thick i sanded it down and now it is working good i have never had to do this before is this a unusual problem or is this a common thing ,the carb kit and float is a genuine johnson ,not a after market .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: had to sand new float ..so it would work properly

Im thinking your problem was elsewhere and you did not realize you remedied it when you re installed it?

Maybe float pin was stuck? Did you use a new float pin with the rubber tip? Did you install the circlip to the float arm?

Just thoughts.

nwcove

Admiral

im with high trim, kinda sounds like there were other issues rather than the 1/16 that you removed, and you unknowingly fixed it when you took it apart. there is quite a bit of clearance in the bowl for an extra little bit of float. (maybe the old one was shrunken due to age......it happens! :p )

alstone89

Cadet

that was my first thought.. that i had the float upside down but i made three attempts and it was the same thing each time it was for sure the float was to thick i could feel it holding up the bowl and as i tightened the screws it squeezed againsed the float when i removed the 16th and matched it up to the cork one it worked properly for some reason the 1962 18 hp is a bit of a odd ball if you do a search for parts you will see what i mean they just seem to jump over the year when i went to by a fuel pump no one made one for it and no rebuild kit was available and when i was looking for a carb kit the float was not available for it either it is quite strange it is almost as if they over looked the motor for producing parts for it