Seaman
2005 Bayliner 185 BR
Blue
3.0L Merc 135 Hp
Snap down bow and cockpit covers
Bimini Top
Galvanized trailer
$12,000 Canadian

I am looking at a 2007 Stingray aswell but looked at this one and I liked it. Can you give me some info on the company and this brand and this boat.

Thanks

BARKLEY

Banned
Re: 2005 Bayliner 185 BR Info please

2005 Bayliner 185 BR
Blue
3.0L Merc 135 Hp
Snap down bow and cockpit covers
Bimini Top
Galvanized trailer
$12,000 Canadian

I am looking at a 2007 Stingray aswell but looked at this one and I liked it. Can you give me some info on the company and this brand and this boat.

Thanks
Are you kidding??? Stingray all the way!!!! Much better quality boat.

Forbin

Seaman

No I am not kidding. I really don't know. I am new to the boat world. Thanks. What makes them much better?

Kev

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

So many boats for sale now. $12K seems more than necessary for a 6-yr old boat.

BARKLEY

Banned

No I am not kidding. I really don't know. I am new to the boat world. Thanks. What makes them much better?

Kev
Sorry.. You did'nt give the price on the Stingray? Bayliner to me is a "OK" boat or a good boat to start out with. Stingray is a better quality boat and may be a better buy, and resale. Any boat could be a good buy, but you need to make sure the motor is sound, the hull is sound, and depending on the stingers shape. Look ,I would take a Stingray, over a Bayliner anyday...Quality

Cincyrunner

Seaman

You'll be unhappy with the 3.0 liter engine after a year or two. Better to look at the Stingray, especially if it has a 6-cyl. No first hand experience on either brand, but just looked at the size of the engine, more is better. You'll grow into your boat, so I'd start out with at least a 6.

BARKLEY

Banned

You'll be unhappy with the 3.0 liter engine after a year or two. Better to look at the Stingray, especially if it has a 6-cyl. No first hand experience on either brand, but just looked at the size of the engine, more is better. You'll grow into your boat, so I'd start out with at least a 6.
I would suggest going with the Stingray!!!

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

No more so than with a car. It is a mistake many have made with a motorcycle as well.

wyro

Recruit

I have that boat (actually its a 2009) but its the same- I think the 3.0 is fine for what we do. The price is way too high... I only paid 15K US for it new.

wyro

Recruit

My other comment is "stingray vs Bayliner" argument is the same as a Dodge vs Chrysler argument. Same factory, same engine, same frame, same trans but the Chrysler costs more.

southkogs

Staff member

Bayliner had some real problems several years ago. The quality was questionable at best. On bigger water (like the Great Lakes) there were probably bigger structural concerns, but on inland lakes not as much. The brand is marketed as an entry level boat, and is produced as such. I've never owned one, but have experience with a couple and they've left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

My Dad has an '02 Capri 19' with the 3.0 in it. The boat is a pretty boat, runs just fine with the 3.0 in it (IMHO) and is pretty comfortable on the overall. I don't care for the bowrider layout (seems cramped), and it doesn't have much of a swim platform (not a deal killer, but I'm gripin' here :D). The main problems that have been had seem to be electrical - but they've had some sort of a problem with the boat every year. The dealer they bought it from didn't provide good warranty support - and when the warranty ran out so did the dealer's interest altogether. Purchase price in '03 (buyin' last years model) over the curb, boat trailer and cover - $12K US.

I think $12K CAN translates to a little over $11K US , so personally I'd think it's overpriced - don't know how much without doing a lot more looking though.

Lots of folks out there own Bays and are perfectly happy with them - Like any other brand of anything, you'll get mixed reviews. There are still LOTS of Bayliners out on the water doing just fine. Check it CAREFULLY. It might be a nice boat if you can make the price work.