Merc 260 Idle change after going into Neutral

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 1989 260 I/O I have started having a strange Idle issue. Start up, idles at 670, in gear 600-625, but after the engine warms up, when I go into neural, my RPM after the idle killer engages and releases goes up to 800-800. Back into gear, it's fine till I go to Neutral again, same high idle.

I screwed the barrel way out, no change. Disconnected the idle, pushing on the idle, no change.

I'm stumped by this.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 260 Idle change after going into Neutral

Ayuh,... Is the cable holding slight pressure against the idle adjustment screw,..??

If so, back the screw off abit...

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After your warm-up period, disconnect the throttle cable from the linkage to isolate any binding from the carb to the helm. should the condition remain, look for a vacuum leak, particularily in the base plate gasket area.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did disconnect the cable, no change. Easy way to check for the vacume leaks?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...spray any combustible solvent (WD-40, P-B, Liquid Wrench) in the suspect area. Manifold vacuum will pull the liquid through and increase the speed momentarily.

NHGuy

Captain

I have the same motor, it does something similar. Sometimes the tach stays up even though the engine is going at the correct RPMs as it should be. I'd recommend putting a shop tach on there to verify your engine RPMs. Your tach might be crazy like mine is.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its all coming back to me now. Had a Yamaha that did the same thing and I learned the hardway not to use carb cleaner.

Havent tried it yet, but I think your on the money. (I used a photo-tact and I could hear the engine rpms go up)

Thanks