Installing new gimbal bearing, do i need an alignment tool? ( and other questions.)

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a guy local that has done all the things on his boat, that i need done on my boat, with the exception of the gimbal bearing and impeller. He even has the special tools needed with the exception of the alignment tool.

Do i need this? I thought i did, but ive also heard that it is only used when installing the motor.

I plan to do these things

gimbal bearing
shift cable kit (linakge, bellows, etc, also includes gimbal housing seal?)
exhaust bellows
driveshaft bellows
shift shaft seal
water impeller

I also heard i need bellows cement.

Anything im missing?

I heard i have to split the lower to change the impeller, that means i have to refill it with oil. that means i need the oil pump? can i turn it upside down and fill it that way? I guess im lost as to why i need to fill it from the bottom.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installing new gimbal bearing, do i need an alignment tool? ( and other questions

The bottom fill (with the top vent screw removed) expels all of the air in the drive. Any other method of filling cannot achieve this....

You will need the bellows adhesive for a secure install. You can eliminate the adhesive on the exhaust bellows, if you use the newer exhaust 'tube'.

Very few engines remain exactly where the factory placed them. Stringers settle...parts settle...and so on. You will lengthen your coupler (and gimbal) life if you check your alignment whenever the drive is removed. Remember: a new coupler requires the engine to be completely removed (ouch)!

Happy boating!

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing new gimbal bearing, do i need an alignment tool? ( and other questions

I want to start doing my own maintenance too so I'm curious if some tools are mandatory and others can be skipped? There are a bunch of tools on eBay if you need them, Gimbal Puller, Gimbal Install Tool, Alignment Tool, Hinge Pin Tool, etc.

Is there a special tool to get the shift cable installed too?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start by learning how to start a new thread of your own, instead of hijacking old threads that belong to someone else and turning them into yours.
Didn't you even notice the red warning bar before you posted?

Friscoboater

Captain

You need to start by learning how to start a new thread of your own, instead of hijacking old threads that belong to someone else and turning them into yours.
Didn't you even notice the red warning bar before you posted?

Well said Don.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honest mistake guys. Didn't realize I had done a search so I thought there was someone asking a questions I was curious about today. Nope didn't see the red bar and I know what that looks like or else I wouldn't have posted.