Evinrude 135 1975? Melting Stator?

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to get my project Evinrude 135 running. Had it fire only two bursts on the second day of cranking the engine and looking for possible fuel problems. Hooked up a timing light and saw no spark. It sparked a couple times fired then died. Nothing since. It looked like the Stator coils were oozing goo out of them. Took off the flywheel last night and in deed they are oozing. Used one at a local shop is 150 bucks. Is this why she is not starting (no spark)? or is it the rectifier ? or power pack? I am mechanically inclined but never worked on an outboard. Ordering the manual next week. But want to work on it this weekend. Any advice?

Attachments

• 9-30 005.jpg
    9-30 005.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 135 1975? Melting Stator?

See CDI Electronics website for a good ignition trouble shooting guide. You will need a DVA adapter, and you also have an adjustable gap spark tester like this:

Spark Tester THE-404.jpg

DVA adapter esi-640.jpg

The goo coming from the stator means it is either bad or on the way out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Your stator is indeed melting down. The coils that are melting deliver approximately 300v AC to the powerpack. When melting, there is a drastic voltage drop. Replace the stator.

The cause of the melt down is normally caused by a shorted rectifier. Test the rectifier as follows.

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, Going to pull the stator today and shop for another one. I found one on line for $209.00 new but not OMC and OMC one is $400.00. Decided to replace the rectifier while at it. Around $25.00. I still might go with the used stator for $150.00. The savings might buy me a new fishing seat. But could leave me stranded. Oh the delema.

Question - After replaceing the Stator and recitier should I do anything with the power pack? The guy at the salvage yard said he can't warranty the part if I don't replace the power pack. (sounds fishy).

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hold off on the powerpack purchase. And if the fellow won't warrant the stator alone, walk away from him.

Also... Buy only a new type stator, not an original. The new type has a green epoxy shell covering and insulating all of the coils. The original style (such as yours) has all of the coils exposed and is prone to early melting down.

Are those parts available here on iboats?

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice

The parts I found were on a Marine parts web site. Iboats does have them at about $366 But I miss quoted the cheap one from Marine its 288 dollars. And all of them seem to have open coils. My wife had other plans for me so I did not get to take the part off. I need to see the part number so I purchase the correct one.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I would get a price for a CDI stator. They make excellent parts and the prices are very good too.