200efi bogging mystery

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all. i have a 98 mariner 200 efi. been having bogging issues when i thought was just when it was cold. what i was normally doing was while loading my gear and stuff on boat i would have it running.so normally it would be running about 10 minutes and when left dock and short distance away id gun it, it would act normal no bogging. so pretty much this year that is how it went every time. other day i was planning on going out when wife got home from church. so this time i was waiting on her to get home and decided to do something different. didnt think it would make any difference.started motor up before she got home to warm it up and after 15 minutes i shut it off.it sat until she got home and we were ready to leave which was like 20 minutes after i shut it down. temperture gauge was still reading same that it was warmed up. and down bayou a ways where i can gun it i did and it just bogged. so i figured it didnt have to be warm to not bogg down it just had to be running for awhile to not bogg i guess. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS WHY THIS IS HAPPENING? I CHECKED ALL ELECTRICAL WITH DVA METER AND EVERYTHING CHECKED GOOD. REPLACED ALL FUEL LINES AND FILTERS. CLEANED FINAL FILTER AND REBUILT MANUAL FUEL PUMP. crazy to me! before use to bogg bunch different times through out the day when out fishing. noticed rectifiers were charging like 18 volts and changed them out. then it only bogged when first left the dock and if i sat few hours on a sand bar. checked tps and everytime checks good. please anybody help abrother out. thanks in advance ted

Tman22

Cadet
Re: 200efi bogging mystery

Check your VST it could be clogged or corroded.

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the input but on mine thats where my final filter is and i opened it up and cleaned it which was real clean already. did fuel pressure test and was always good even when bogging down.

petryshyn

Commander

TPS maybe intermitent....you could also be loosing ignition on one or more cylinders....check each cylinder with timing light while bogging....

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i been thinking tps... firing on all when bogging and got good fuel pressure when bogging. even hooked up DVA meter on inputs to sparks boxes from stator when bogging and been good. only thing i can think is tps or ecm. tps lot cheaper than ecm so ill try it. every time i check tps which has been like 6 times it checks good thats only thing thats crazy never acting bad on meter.

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hello all. just wanted to know if anybody knew the part number for the TPS sensor on a 98 mariner 200 efi. seen somewhere something that looked like the TPS and they called it a INDICATOR ? hope thats not it cause that thing new is $500. and im not sure if thats the problem or not. alot of people having similar problems on here and alot of them saying they replaced TPS and still not fixed it. i know that dont mean it wont fix mine but dang thats a $500 gamble. thanks in advance for any info. ted

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hello all got a question for yall mechanics. just wondering why when you initally set a tps or when testing tps voltage you gotta unhook 2 brown wires to temp sensor? wondering if different tempertures from temp sensors makes tps have different readings. know if 2 brown wires hooked up when checking tps output is only 3 volts then disconnected it reads 7 volts. just wondering if temp sensors are messing up if its making tps not put out enough volts? also planned on running it with meter hooked up to tps and brown wires connected and full throttleing it was wondering what reading i should get on meter? anybody got any info on this? thanks in advance. ted

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same exact issue, same motor. Were you able to figure out the problem?