I need help with my DUO boat and west bend motor

DUOBoater420

Recruit
Ok so I purchased a DUO rounder tri-hull with a 80hp West Bend motor. Ive called around to the area shops (southern wisconsin) and not one of them has ever even heard of either a DUO boat or of West Bend outboard motors. So I was wondering if anyone had any info on either of theses as well as a place to get a manual for them. Really hoping you guys can help me out here. The motor runs but I would like some reassurance. ThanksBOAT 1.jpgBOAT 2.jpgBOAT 1.jpgBOAT 2.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need help with my DUO boat and west bend motor

Howdy, DUOboater.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Hmmmmm. Do we move this to Boats to get input on the DUO, or Other Brand Outboards for input on the big West Bend?

Let's start with the outboard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

DUO and West Bend were both purchased by Chrysler circa 1965.
So we know your motor is 65 or older.
Became Chrysler boats and motors.
If you go to fiberglassics.com they have lots of brochures for fiberglass boats.
The motor has a distributor and a coil,points and condenser for each cylinder.Maximum timing advance is 36 degrees mid range and is retarded 4 degrees at wot.Point gap is .020.
My after market service manual 1970 indicate 48:1 fuel mix with TCW3 rated oil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

DUO and West Bend were both purchased by Chrysler circa 1965.
So we know your motor is 65 or older.
Became Chrysler boats and motors.
If you go to fiberglassics.com they have lots of brochures for fiberglass boats.
The motor has a distributor and a coil,points and condenser for each cylinder.Maximum timing advance is 36 degrees mid range and is retarded 4 degrees at wot.Point gap is .020.
My after market service manual 1970 indicate 48:1 fuel mix with TCW3 rated oil.

I think you meant to say it has an alternator, not a distributor?

Attachments

• 5. Electric Starter, Control, Alternator, Ignition.jpg
    5. Electric Starter, Control, Alternator, Ignition.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No ,I was refering to the distributor.But its interesting there is a missprint in my manual
and both the distributor and Alternator are labeled O.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

We must be talking about different models. Obviously, there is no need for a distributor if there are separate coils for each cylinder. A distributor takes the spark from a single coil and sends ("distributes") it to the correct spark plug at the moment.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That motor looks to be a Tiger Shark 800, they came out in 1961. Four coils, four plugs, etc, no distributor.

They also made an I/O that used that same motor which laid horizontally in the boat.

Duo boats was at one time part of or started by the owner of Thunderbird, but later, around 1966 or so became part of Starcraft's parent company at the time.

They made a good boat which was sort of an up market model along side of the Starcraft line. The boats were their own designs, not typical sister models as with some brands.

The Duo Rounder model later was replaced with the Gypsy trihull.

The boat looks to be mid to late 60's, in the Starcraft years. I don't think the original Duo company built a trihull.
The two I've owned had a unique sandwiched foam hull, the actual outer hull was made from double layer fiberglass with a thin foam core. There was no other foam in the hull. The lower hull and stringers were open to the bilge and able to better stay dry. They were on the heavy side for boats their side though in my opinion, the Starcraft models were better when it came to overall weight, but the Duo hull was rock solid and rode as good or better than the Starcraft models did. I've owned both and myself preferred the Starcraft trihull over the Duo although the Duo appeared to be a better built boat overall with better materials and better fit and finish. Keep in mind that my comparison is being made after owned both after they were more than 30 years old.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

About the time Chrysler bought Westbend I could swear I read that they purchased DUO
and they became Chrysler boats. I have a 61 schematic in a 1970 aftermarket manual that clearly shows a distributor wired to 4 coils. Also states seperate coil,condenser,and contact points for each cylinder.
Interesting to see the heading on the schematic page says West Bend Electrical System, Chrysler Corp Hartford Wisconsin.Obviously the source for West bend info at that time.(70)
Vic.Porter A fiberglass pioneer started DUO in 58 sold to Starcraft in 66 He eventually went on to establish Signa Corp to build Tri Hulls.circa 73 Duo sold to Atlanta based Conglomerate Fuqua .Porter now owns Thunderberd purchased from Fuqua.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, I see where the confusion comes in. I found a wiring diagram that shows a "distributor" (P), with four coils. HOWEVER, the word "distributor" is an unfortunate choice of words. It does not distribute the spark. However, it does have four sets of points which I suppose could be interpreted as meaning it distributes the coils' primary to ground and breaks it in rotation to fire the coils. I think I'd call it a "timer". But they didn't ask me to write the book.

Attachments

• Wiring 1961 80 hp West Bend.jpg
    Wiring 1961 80 hp West Bend.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your probably right.I think the term "timer" goes back many years before the 1960s refering to primitive ignitions of that period ,early 1900s.They didn't want to appear primitive.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Duo never had anything to do with Chrysler.

Chrysler bought out Lonestar boats and they are what became Chrysler's line of boats.
At or around the same time they bought West Bend.

I believe that some or all of what were Chrysler boats was sold to Chris Craft when Chrysler got out of boats.
I believe Chris Craft bought out the rights to their "Gull wing" or tri hulls.

Maybe what they are calling the distributor there is what we would now refer to as the stator/flywheel assembly.
Every one of those motors I've ever dealt with did not have a stand alone distributor.

Vic Porter founded Duo in 1958, sold it to Starcraft in 1966, he stayed on for some time with the company but moved onto form Signa Corp in 1970.
See: http://www.formulaboats.com/history.aspx
http://www.formulaboats.com/news/FormulaCelebratesVicPorters50YearsintheBoatingBusiness.aspx

As far as I know, a company called Bangor Punta bought the Duo brand, I believe they owned it till the end. I don't recall every hearing that it was sold. They owned Starcraft, Smith and Wesson, Piper aircraft, Luhrs, and other companies.
See: http://www.gjenvick.com/BangorPunta/index.html

I don't believe that Vic Porter ever regained ownership of Duo, I was under the impression that the name died when Bangor Punta failed in or around 1984?