1959 evinrude 35hp big twin

woodsy69

Recruit
Well, it took me a while, but I am back with new info on my restoration. I resolved all my mechanical issues with rebuilding the motor. The 35hp really pushes the little 16ft. runabout good. Does at least 35-40km across smooth water. But now I am sick of pull-start and trying to resolve starter problems still! I did get the wiring figured out and it will crank, but not enough crank power to start motor. I tried with small 12 volt motorcycle battery first, and when that didn't have enough oomph, I tried jumper cables direct from my running truck and had same result? Just not getting enough juice! Cleaned all connections and even replaced solenoid but still not good enough. Am using key ignition with proper wiring connection as per previous thread here but am at a loss again?? Sure like this little boat though, and it would be just perfect if I coul get this starter issue resolved, and say good-bye to pullstarting!! Again THANK-YOU for all previous advice it sure helped troubleshoot to this point. So far I have done all work myself and only had to dish out less than 100 bucks for parts so far!! Bye for now.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 evinrude 35hp big twin

Do a voltage drop test across all the connections and cables. And unless your jumper cables are the expensive professonal ones, forget that method.

You need a good battery too, and installed correctly. Motorcycle and lawn mower batteries just can't cut it. That motor needs everything it can get, in order to crank. The starters are barely big enough.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you're getting good power to the starter and it's still slow then it is the starter. They are quite easy to take apart and sand paper clean. I have had good results getting slow spinning old starters working well again.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have a few of the 35hps from 57 and 58, and they ALL needed new wiring/connectors.

As Frank pointed out, jumper cables dont cut it unless they are the ones that you need a mortgage to buy. Most lose too much through the "teeth" and size. I will bet that if you go out and buy some brand new heavy gauge wiring and jump it from a proper cranking amp/fully charged battery she will spin like mad. I go to my local princess auto and buy the 4 gauge welding cable with the big copper connectors. That gets the juice there. Was using 2 gauge for a while but alot of the solenoid boxes cannot accomodate their size in the openings.

If not, time to rebuild that starter like Steve mentioned. If the thought of taking one apart scares you, many rebuild shops do them farily cheap.

EDIT: Sorry going to have to agree with the above as well, dont buy any motors newer than 58, save for the one on my fishing boat which is a 76.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I hate to admit it but I use crappy weak thin jumpers and as long as you wiggle em well and get a good connection they work fine for me... I also do have the 2 gauge very heavy duty ones (I needed em when I used to jump start my diesel car in -30c weather) but I rarely get em out. Usually only for jumping cars.