OMC Select-Elec gear shift

tom gauthier

Recruit
I'm rebuilding a 1969 Glasspar Cutlass 18.
Anyone reading this knows that by now I've removed 43 yrs of spagetti/dogs breakfast wiring.
I was surprised to find the gear shift is electric. Can anyone tell me about it... where to find a replacement?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Select-Elec gear shift

there are two common types, the "Evinrude" type with 3 buttons for shifting and a throttle that only sweeps forward
1165878070_88935aa08d.jpg

The more modern style Sterndrive/Johnson type with a switch built in to the throttle that has a neutral in the middle and sweeps FWD and REV like most other boats
cntrl_johnson.jpg

and then there are binnacle mount, side mount, concealed side mount, etc.
eBay if you want a bolt in replacement. Some repair parts are still available from an Evinrude dealer. Someone was repopping the internal switches in the Sterndrive/Johnson style and selling them on eBay.

the switches don't last as long as they could or should because there is no flashback diode in any of the systems used to stop the arc from the collapsing magnetic field every time you shift to neutral so the contacts arc and get burnt after a few thousand shifts.

and of course, any drum switch good for 10A or so can probably be used, but it will be isolated from the throttle - might even be one out there with diodes for arc suppression
15-17-2.jpg