GPS Recomendations

wallychaser

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Im looking to purchase a handheld GPS with the intentions on using mainly in my boat. Any suggestions as to make and model that would be adequate for this application? I live in the province of Saskatchewan (Canada) and fish large lakes, some with lots of islands to get lost on. Not looking for something really high end, more middle of the road. I did do some reading on Garnins GPSMAP 62s & 78s... Suggestions?

Nick

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: GPS Recomendations

All I have ever owned is Garmins been satisfied. That said have used a magellin to me was not as user friendly.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You really don't have to spend much and get a good handheld garmin. What makes them the choice is their user friendly software. I have one 10 years old and still works.

Other than that my droid cell phone has a 10 dollar app that does the same thing.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Garmin, Lowrance are both good. The smartphone apps are pretty good as long as you can get a signal, but you can't add waypoints without a big hassle.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

I quit using my stand-alone GPS systems in-shore. been using my droid for when I'm in the bay. I've been trying to find it again since I switched phones but I did have a GPS app on my last droid x that gave me navigation maps when off-shore and allowed pinpoints. not going to say why I had that though ;)

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My app is called GPS essentials and it does not have to have a cell signal to work. BUT the issues are it is hard to see in bright sun and it will run the battery down quickly as it stays on when the program is in use.

bigdee

Commander

I have a Magellan 510 Xplorist that I found to be user unfriendly at first but after getting through the learning curve I now love it. It has all the bells and whistles but it can be user customised for whatever suits you the most. The cool thing is the high resolution camera that can add photos to your waypoints. I also it use it to survey tracts of land to find boundaries and it will calculate acreage when I walk the perimeter. On the downside, this thing eats batteries but on a boat you could power it with your cig lighter.

puddle jumper

Captain

This is what I am looking at. Im going to get a Android phone and down load the ap. The gps on these phones are second to anything out there. There are even aps for ocean navigation and cheep. The charts for the west coast are good enough that I could navigate around Vancouver Island with them. And on the plus side you don't own three or four different electronic toys that cost big bucks.

PS you can also phone home with it when your going to be late:D