Text Messages...... LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Today a huge amount of info pass from one person to another via text messages. To me, (being in data processing for about 30 years) this is a big step backward. But I guess it has its place and is fast.

What I see is this huge migration of young people, (including my wife, who is about 42 years young) to this crappy short hand of text messaging. the use of "U" for "you" and "UR" for "you are" etc is just getting on my nerves.

I know how to type. Been doing it for 35 plus years. Learned on those old machines where when you pushed down a key, a big arm swung up and whacked a impression against a piece of inked ribbon into the paper. WHACK! WHACK!! WHACK! the harder you pushed, the better it looked. The less you looked at the keyboard, the faster you could type.

So I recently go from the "stone age' of cell phones to a Droid with a slide out keyboard that you can really cruise on. Even though you are only using two fingers, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO TYPE, YOU CAN DO IT FAST!!!!!!! So all that short cut stuff looks really JUVENILE!!!! Learn how to type!!!! There is no excuse for looking like you are in High School!!! ACT AND TYPE YOUR AGE!!!!!!!

If you use two fingers on a full size keyboard, YOU ARE A MORON FOR NOT LEARNING HOW TO TYPE!!!!! THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!! Learning how to type with all five fingers on a hand is FREE and you should lean how if you don't know how. I don't care how OLD you are THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!! They teach it for free at the local library. ONCE you know how to type, your brain will direct those two fat thubs to do the same thing on a miniture keyboard that all five fingers do on a full size keyboard. So... Once again.... THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!!! Its like being born into the USA by native Americans and saying you can learn English!!!! BS!!!! GRow UP!!!!

You learned how to drive a car, how to run a vacuum cleaner, how to mop a kitchen floor, how to sweep a garage, how to make a bed, how to cook spaghetti, how to use the REMOTE CONTROL on your TV!!!!!!! DAMN!!!! F'N LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!!!

So, if you have half a brain in your head, slow down a bit and type in the full word . It only adds a few seconds to the message, and makes you look pretty mature. TYPE IT OUT or LOOK LIKE A MORON. That is the sign hanging in our department. So many of us are sick of short hand text when there are perfectly good keyboards on cell phones, we are going out of our way to beat up the short hand kiddies.

End of rant.

I feel better now.... :D

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Text Messages...... LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!!

wtf m8?

in all honesty though, I've seen this happening as well and I'll admit i'm guilt at times too. I agree if you have a full keyboard than use it. I remember having the hit each number the correct amount of times to get the word. I can see where the short hand started with that.

Imagine before you had full keyboard trying to send the message I wrote above in full.
What the Fudge mate? (not using the actual wording for purpose of I really don't like to swear unless i'm good and angry at someone)

Actually finishing this from my phone because I'm being a bit lazy and don't want to setup my laptop.

In NY its illegal to text and drive so I use the voice to text option. Punishment ranks between a speeding ticket and a dui.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How do you expect someone to drive a car and text if they dont use short simple ways to spell the words,,,gez?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hope you feel better, Mark.

I do not respond to text on my cell. I often have great difficulty reading posts here entered on a full keyboard with editing capability by people presumed to be literate.

I don't think it matters whether the poster can't or simply won't bother to look like (s)he graduated from grade five. Learning to edit is not neurosurgery.

My inclination to try to help is somewhat reduced when outboards want start or loose power in sentences that run on for 300 words and include little or no punctuation or capitalization.

I greatly appreciate members who take the time and trouble to present their requests in correct English, correctly spelled and punctuated. I thank you all. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

yep, that is pretty much true. I used to have the old numeric key pad, and texting was such a pain, I just refused to do it. But today, most kids and adults have Blackberry, or Droid, or other cell phones with full keyboards. So the rant is directed to them.

BTW, do they still teach typing in High School? I think it should be taught in grade school.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

sum 1 p ur flaks 2 da ?

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

sum 1 p ur flaks 2 da ?

Boy, thought I was good at reading the text abbreviations but didn't get that until I figured out that you left out the n : sum 1 p n ur flaks 2 da ? Now if you're gonna do it, do it right! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So sorry 12vMan, I'm still learning.
Actually, it was my first time.

I have only ever texted twice.
Both times were one word replies to my wife.

I can't stand the stuff either, and although I am not a very good typist, I can manage to form coherent sentences most of the time.

Yes, we are all doomed.

chriscraft254

Commander

Today a huge amount of info pass from one person to another via text messages. To me, (being in data processing for about 30 years) this is a big step backward. But I guess it has its place and is fast.

This would be correct!

What I see is this huge migration of young people, (including my wife, who is about 42 years young) to this crappy short hand of text messaging. the use of "U" for "you" and "UR" for "you are" etc is just getting on my nerves.

Why does it get on your nerves, because you are better than everyone else because you type real words?

I know how to type. Been doing it for 35 plus years. Learned on those old machines where when you pushed down a key, a big arm swung up and whacked a impression against a piece of inked ribbon into the paper. WHACK! WHACK!! WHACK! the harder you pushed, the better it looked. The less you looked at the keyboard, the faster you could type.

Wow, very impressive! Not!

So I recently go from the "stone age' of cell phones to a Droid with a slide out keyboard that you can really cruise on. Even though you are only using two fingers, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO TYPE, YOU CAN DO IT FAST!!!!!!! So all that short cut stuff looks really JUVENILE!!!! Learn how to type!!!! There is no excuse for looking like you are in High School!!! ACT AND TYPE YOUR AGE!!!!!!!

You just said your wife types this way. So I guess there is no excuse to look like your wife and you are calling her an idiot? What your saying is everyone should take a typing class to make you happy because short-hand annoys YOU! And if they don't they are a juvinile and look like they are in high school according to YOU! My opinion, is you ranting on about something so stupid is more juvenile and high schoolish than short-hand texting will ever be!

If you use two fingers on a full size keyboard, YOU ARE A MORON FOR NOT LEARNING HOW TO TYPE!!!!! THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!! Learning how to type with all five fingers on a hand is FREE and you should lean how if you don't know how. I don't care how OLD you are THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!! They teach it for free at the local library. ONCE you know how to type, your brain will direct those two fat thubs to do the same thing on a miniture keyboard that all five fingers do on a full size keyboard. So... Once again.... THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!!! Its like being born into the USA by native Americans and saying you can learn English!!!! BS!!!! GRow UP!!!!

Now people that type with only two fingers are morons???? Excuse me sir, what if I only have only got 2 fingers left on each hand? lol Man, you are something! What there is "NO EXCUSE FOR" is YOU having this high all mighty attitude that your better than someone else just because you believe everyone should type like YOU!!!!!! You sir are the one that sounds like a child and needs to GROW UP!!!!!

You learned how to drive a car, how to run a vacuum cleaner, how to mop a kitchen floor, how to sweep a garage, how to make a bed, how to cook spaghetti, how to use the REMOTE CONTROL on your TV!!!!!!! DAMN!!!! F'N LEARN HOW TO TYPE!!!!!!

How do you know what anyone has learned or not learned to do???????????

So, if you have half a brain in your head, slow down a bit and type in the full word . It only adds a few seconds to the message, and makes you look pretty mature. TYPE IT OUT or LOOK LIKE A MORON. That is the sign hanging in our department. So many of us are sick of short hand text when there are perfectly good keyboards on cell phones, we are going out of our way to beat up the short hand kiddies.

End of rant.

I do hope you feel better, and maybe also look back on your post someday and realize how much of a MORON this rant made YOU look. I'm sure you could have squeezed in a few more insults to the general non-typing public if you tried!!!!! Ok, I'm done with my rant! Oh last but not least, typed with two fingers. Could you tell???? EDIT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry but I side with Mark on this, people are just lazy!

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Text should be limited to a message sent ,with a 1 sentence response back ,anymore then that , you should call a person and talk .Not everyone has or wants the full dropdown keyboard.

BTW this reminds me of a joke....

why did the tweenager decide not to eat cheetos

when she read the ingredients it said 0mg ...... cholesterol

45Auto

Commander

JB said:
My inclination to try to help is somewhat reduced when outboards want start or loose power in sentences that run on for 300 words and include little or no punctuation or capitalization.

I greatly appreciate members who take the time and trouble to present their requests in correct English, correctly spelled and punctuated. I thank you all.

Is an outboard that "want" start kind of like an outboard that won't start? :facepalm:

Is "loose" power mean kind of the same thing as an outboard that loses power? :facepalm:

Glass houses and stones .....

Whether you guys like it or not, languages evolve. What kids are doing today in text messages is no different than you posting on iboats using terms like RPM, WOT, MPG, GPH, PSI, etc. If you're not willing to learn the terminology, don't complain about the people who do.

Mark, If you like to type and are proud of your speed, feel free to go through all your old posts and replace "RPM" with "revolutions per minute", "tach" with "tachometer", "speedo" with "speedometer", etc, etc.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

OMG WTH ? I abbreviate all the time as its faster and I can put more info into the 150 character limit I have on my phone. Any msgs over 150 spaces add up to another text msg sent. I only have so many B 4 they cost me xtra.. There ARE other reasons people abbreviate then laziness and being a moron. Its faster and a more efficient use of text capacity IMHO. Happy day 2 U.

skargo

Banned

WOW. I don't use the stupid shorthand, because I use texting for my business and for my real estate investing and some level of professionalism is desired.

BUT I am a MORON because I type with two fingers????!!!!?????!!!!! Whatever, I can type quicker, and more accurately than most trained typists.

I think people who judge others and tell us what we are supposed to do are the true morons. Get bent. :mad:

skargo

Banned

End of rant.

Irony! Now who's the moron? :rolleyes:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I guess I would be considered a moron... I grew up around computers being only 26, and although we used them, noone actually taught me how to type with all my fingers. Due to years and years of doing so, I only use my index fingers to type. With that said, I can actually type extremely fast. Does that make it the right way to type, no, but it's the way I did and will continue to do so.

I do however agree with you on some people cutting words down. Sadly, phones actually will autocorrect to these short versions of words.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unfriendly thread is unfriendly. Closed.

D

DJ

Is an outboard that "want" start kind of like an outboard that won't start? :facepalm:

Is "loose" power mean kind of the same thing as an outboard that loses power? :facepalm:

Glass houses and stones .....

I think you missed the irony. I'm sure JB mispelled those words on purpose.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, DJ. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.