Top Cap Sealer

fmeroney

Cadet
Anyone have a recomended product to reseal the top cap on my bass boat? took the rub rail off and the silicone has completely migrated away from the gap. it's an 87 so i figure there is a better choice out there.

Thanks!

tallwill38

Cadet
Re: Top Cap Sealer

Hey I've read that some boats don't have anything sealing the top cap to the hull and that some do.I think that anything you decide to use will be O.K. but I would shy away from anything that would make it a major pain to remove in the future, silicone sounds like a fine sealant for this application. I have read that silicone can cause problems if you ever need to clean it off to make a bonding surface though.Was your top cap tabbed down with glass or just held down with the rub rail screws?Or did you actually remove the top cap or just the rub rail?If your just sealing around the visible gap I think silicone would be o.k just try and keep it off the rest of the boat while your applying it, you could mask off around the lower part then you could just have at it.Maybe some of the other guys on here will chime in with better advice cause I am no authority on this subject but I definitely wouldn't glue it together with 3m 5200 unless you want a major headache taking it off later. Good Luck

fmeroney

Cadet

Agreed, never took the cap off, just the rail. I think the screws hold it down no glassing. I will go with the silicone, seems like it will be fine!

Thanks,

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

That was Wierd ...

I think there should be an "Iboaters history record time problem solved" award for this ( with only one reply post as well ;) ) .

Glad we could help m8.

YD.