Engine codes, 01 GMC Jimmy

fishrdan

Admiral
Hey Guys,

Is there an easy way to retrieve the codes from a 2001 GMC Jimmy, like jumpering a couple of wires or flipping the key a couple times without starting the engine?

Guess I could run it down to the parts store, but trying to get it figured out without running into town.

Thanks, Dan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine codes, 01 GMC Jimmy

Not with OBD II. You need a reader.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, you got to use a reader. OBD11 is fairly easy to figure out once you have the code or codes.

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you sure about needing a code reader with all OBD II vehicles?

With our 01 Durango you can click the key 3 times (without starting it) and it will scroll through the codes. With our 01 Accord you can jumper a connector and it will flash the codes. Both of those are OBD II.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes, there are a few cars that will toss codes up on the odometer display but only way you'll really know if yours can do this would be either in the owners manual (maybe), service manual, or look on forums specific to your vehicle.

easiest way is to just get the codes read at the parts store. or if you have a smart phone like me, just grab an ELM327 based bluetooth code scanner off ebay and download the torque app. read/erases codes and gives real time sensor outputs to help pinpoint code faults, etc. I love mine.