lower unit question

Easy Ed

Cadet
In my examination of the lower unit on a 2003 Yamaha 150 2 stroke I saw some metal shavings on the drain screw. I drained the lower unit and did not see any other metal, pulled a magnet through it. In all test runs both with mufs and on water did not show any signs of problem, like hard shifts, noise, or other signs that I know to check for. The amount of shavings was minor but definitly there. Should I be concerned, should Ido other tests, and if so what would you recommend. Or should I run away from this engine. The power unit checks out strong.

Please any thoughts, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.
Ed

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: lower unit question

I believe the drain screw is magnetic to capture any metal.
The metal had to come from somewhere, gears is my guess from mating up when shifting.
Hard to say if it is abnormal or not, or if it is a sign of emanate failure with out taking apart and inspecting

robert graham

Admiral

A fine metallic powder on the magnetic drain screw is totally normal, but shavings and chunks of metal is not. I believe what you're calling "shavings" is probably just that powder and no problem. Maybe run it a while and drain and refill just to check and make yourself feel better about this! Good Luck! :)

Easy Ed

Cadet

Guys, thanks for the response. Will do another on water test and check again. Appreciate your comments.
Ed