Here's pics of the leak area

Speakrdude

Ensign
After searching, I have found the source of the water intrusion. Its is a gap on the top side of the port drive. Not very big, but big enough I suppose to let water past. The way I found was to (obviously) smear some 5200 over it. Leak stopped.
Where the small gap is, the fiberglass seems to be sunken in just a bit. Does this sound like a rot issue? All seems to sound very solid.
Directly behind that area, the inner transom plate is in the way of drilling a core sample.

I believe the way it started leaking was, when I sanded the bottom paint away from the drive. I must have removed some sealer the PO had there.

Any ideas, solutions, remedies?

jim

Attachments

• DSCN1835.jpg
    DSCN1835.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • port drive 4.jpg
    port drive 4.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
  • port drive 2.jpg
    port drive 2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • port drive 3.jpg
    port drive 3.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Here's pics of the leak area

Comments like "the fiberglass seems to be sunken in just a bit", sure sounds like rot to me. Without core samples it's hard to know for sure, but having that uncertainty might make enjoying the boat a bit tougher.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you found one of the leaking areas, but one of the pictures shows what looks like bare glass (left corner of the transom) with the gel coat missing? I could imagine water entering, and causing damage to the glass and that general area of your boat. May want to investigate that area too to ensure you don?t have more issues.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

That area appears to be from the edge of the swim platform. Unless molded, should not allow water into the boat itself.

Speakrdude

Ensign

NOt sure which picture your referring too, but there is no bare fiberglass anywhere. Some of the areas are where I sand the bottom paint away from the metal pieces and some areas are where I sweared the black bottom paint with my acetone when I was cleaning up.

I am not oppesed to removing all and rebuilding complete transom. Have done it before. Its does make you feel all warm and fuzzy after it's done and all painted shiney and new.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Oh! I see what your talking about. The "Bare Fiberglass" is a patch on the outside edge of the swim platform. The PO must have backed into the dock. I have started building the area back up.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

That's the area I was speaking about, cant imagine exposing that to water is good.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

yep sound liek you have rot. I'd start taking core samples... might only have it localized