Drain Plug Issues

BigKavDog

Recruit
I just bought a 97 Tracker. First time boat owner. Great boat to look at, I can't take it out on the water because on the way home, the drain plug bounced out or slid into a crevice I can't reach. I have purchased a 1' drain plug, too big. 7/8' bait well plug was too big as well. My plan is to continue to purchase plugs, working down in size until I find one that fits. Anybody have any other ideas that might work? Can I even use "bait well" plugs for my drain hole? Makes me nervous because the hole is riveted, but the "bait well" plugs aren't. I emailed the previous owner who moved to the other side of the country, and he said to find one smaller. The people at my local boat shop are NOT being very helpful. Any ideas?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Drain Plug Issues

Is it a threaded garboard plug or non threaded? Either way, they sell threaded brass plugs at Wallyworld. I think they're 3/4". They come in a package of two for less than 6 bucks. They also sell two different size expanding black rubber plugs.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to IBOATS
seems to me, that if I wanted to buy a plug for a hole, I would measure the hole first.....

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice

1/2" NPT is very common for drain plugs. Thats pipe thread, tapered.

southkogs

Staff member

"Measure twice, plug once." - ancient mariner wisdom.

BigKavDog

Recruit

Forgot to mention I had tried the 3/4 with no luck. Too small for the hole. I will give it a measure. (Boy my face is red..I should have done that first) I'm starting to wonder if the plugs I bought weren't labeled right or something. If a 3/4=6/8 is too small, and a 7/8 is too big....I just don't see that 1/16 of an inch making that big a difference....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the rubber garboard plugs are adjustable in size. Some you tighten a nut on the end; others you twist the plug handle.

I think the first thing to replace is your local boat shop.

southkogs

Staff member

Yeah, to Home Cookin's point: The plugs with the handle don't work well on my boat, but the "twist" type of the same exact size work.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the rubber garboard plugs are adjustable in size. Some you tighten a nut on the end; others you twist the plug handle.

I think the first thing to replace is your local boat shop.

No CHIT if a local shop couldn't help you on the first trip that's sad....

If 3/4 was too small and 7/8 was too big then you need the 3/4 and tighten it up some.... If it is the style with the lever, then give the lever a few twists before you flip it.

Treager

Seaman Apprentice

Just a word of caution - Whether you get the snap rubber plugs or the twist handle rubber plugs, you'll want to buy the highest quality plug you can find (ie: its not likely you'll get those plugs at Wallyworld).

While the plugs themselves will expand and press against the interior of the tube, they can leak through the center of the plug. You'll want to make that the shaft that goes through the plug occupies most of the diameter of the hole in the center of the plugs, as well as ensuring the washers at either end don't bend when tightened. I've encountered way too many plugs that "weep" through the center of the plug.