Crack in carb throat 5hp gamefisher...advice

Salt4Life

Cadet
Just wondering if any of you Macgyvers have an idea of how to fix this. It doesn't allow the butterfly to fully close. Thanks in advance!

1ffa6041.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Crack in carb throat 5hp gamefisher...advice

A small round file or a Dremel Tool or similar, grind it smooth, fill it with JB Weld, finish smoothing and sanding. I can't see what might have caused that crack? Good Luck!

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like someone tried using a screw that was to long on the fuel pump valve cover and penetrated the bore.

Salt4Life

Cadet

Good call on the dremel rob. Thanks a ton!

robert graham

Admiral

Looks like someone tried using a screw that was to long on the fuel pump valve cover and penetrated the bore.
That's the same thing I was thinking....Jb Weld might work pretty good here, a new or used carb for that motor might be hard to find/expensive!....

robert graham

Admiral

If you use the JB Weld, use your fingertip to force it well into the cracks and that should do a good job of "locking" it into place, then Dremel, file, sand until smooth. There's no real stress on that area of the carb and it'll probably work fine. For your purposes it should be O.K. :) Now if you're going to cross the Atlantic ocean with this motor/boat, then maybe find a new carb before sailing. You can JB Weld it to get it going and still keep your eyes out for a replacement later. Good Luck!

Salt4Life

Cadet

Thanks again rob. Turns out it was more of a buldge than a crack. Someone beforehand dropped or beat on it I guess. I found the indention on the outside. I carefully smoothed it back down with the dremel. No biggie if I can't get her running, I just enjoy fixing things and it would make a good kicker beside my 75 mariner. Has anyone had success with eskaman2008's rebuild kits

Salt4Life

Cadet

Maybe be a little easier with your words mrcrabs. Its easy to misjudge someones attitude through what he types on a computer. Just my opinion. But thanks for for the information regardless!

M

mrcrabs

bumrcrabs

Salt4Life

Cadet

Please don't post on my threads mrcrabs. Thanks.

M

mrcrabs

Oh sure what ever you say lady but feel free to use the ignore function, I did :D