1995 Searay windshield question.

raytash

Recruit
My windshield (pass through-from drivers to open bow) no longer closes. It has gotten progressively worse as the boat has aged. It is a 1995 searay 185.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 Searay windshield question.

So where's the problem? Loose hinge? Mine works fine still. Can you post a pic of what's hitting and where?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you might have some rot under the floor allowing the hull to sag.

raytash

Recruit

So where's the problem? Loose hinge? Mine works fine still. Can you post a pic of what's hitting and where?

Everything seems to be tight. Have never made any manual adjustments to the windshield other then pushing on it to get the windshield to close in the past. The center (walk through) window misses closing by about 1/4" inch. There are two support brackets on each side of the dashboard (never adjusted or fooled around with), I'm sure it is much like your searay. I can not see anything that has changed dramatically to cause this problem. No hard impacts, no tweaking, no nothing. Thanks for the replies.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a friend of mine has the same problem with the same boat.... I suspect that some keel rollers might help his ... I think the boat is deforming over time...

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 1996 is doing the same..my first thought turned to rot, but after drilling a few small holes and coming up dry, i'm at a loss as well...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Check the port or starboard side around the helm/walk through, something is begining to sag thus binding the window frame I am thinking.

Friscoboater

Captain

It is for sure sagging and the first thing you look for is rot. It also could have come unscrewed from the supports that run to the floor. Just lif it up and put new screws in.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

a friend of mine has the same problem with the same boat.... I suspect that some keel rollers might help his ... I think the boat is deforming over time...
I assume it's on a bunk trailer. You think there's not enough support for the keel?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeah thats my bet.... when he bought it a few months ago the glass overlapped by 1/2 of an inch.... we have managed to get it closed now and it only wants to overlap by 1/8 of an inch... The only change is that I have him loading it up hard against the winch stand rollers... That alone would lift the centerline a little..... Also it is being used often now.... previously it has set inside a building for most of it's life... something like 118 hours on the clock.....This boat absolutely has NO rot.... there are no brackets to the floor.... just to the dash..... The dash is molded into the cap and attaches to the floor...

raytash

Recruit

It is for sure sagging and the first thing you look for is rot. It also could have come unscrewed from the supports that run to the floor. Just lif it up and put new screws in.

No rot at all. This boat sees more garage time then water time. My windshield supports attach to the fiberglass dash. Can those be adjusted to make up for whatever is taking place. I looked at them before and I didn't see where there was enough room to make up for the difference in the windshield.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

We were REAL worried about the possibility of breaking the windshield doing that... what about keel rollers?? Also might try contacting sea ray... this seems to be a common problem... maybe they have some insight for ya