Cheap Polarized bifocal fishing sunglasses?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm 50+ years old. I can't see the fishing line knots anymore without reading glasses. I see far away just fine.

Drugs stores sell cheap reading glasses, and also cheap polarized sunglasses.

Is there such a thing as a cheap pair of polarized bifocal sunglasses, with regular polarized sunglass on top and a medium reading eyeglass prescription on the bottom half of the lens?

With all the fishing supply places out there, someone must make such a thing.

If not, I think there is a market for it.

I can't be the only one getting older....

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cheap Polarized bifocal fishing sunglasses?

Unsure if they make over the counter glasses like your looking for. I am an optician by trade and could make you a pair in your actual prescription.
Or with no Rx at top, and your choice of bifocal power.
Check around, your local eye clinic should be able to fix you up. Price may be a concern as they will be much more than cheapo drugstore glasses.

mr 88

Commander

Try ebay just punch in polarized bifocal sunglass in the search icon

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My prices would run you about $150. I'm a private office and not a chain store, they can probably do it cheaper. A quality polarized lens is 100x's better than the cheap ones.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well, if the cheapo reading glasses work for you, some of the discount places have reading sunglasses.
I keep a pair onboard for the same reason you want them. I think I got 'em at Dollar Tree. I don't remember if they're polarized but they definitely aren't as dark as my regular sunglasses.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well being a "sexy senior citizen" recently celebrating a senior birthday and all, having reading glasses, computer glasses, and general purpose bi-focals rather than tri-focals as they didn't turn out to be what they were supposed to be..........

I go to WW and buy pairs (because I want them in my truck, my boat, my lawn mowers, and my tractors) of Bill Dance polarized clip ons (clip onto your prescription glasses) for about $7 each. They are almost weightless, easily attached, flip up out of the way instantly and everything else one could want and being polarized they cut the reflected glare.

Beat that.

Mark

jdlough

Cierra,

What exactly is better about a $100+ pair of polarized vs the under $20 cheap ones? Durability? Scratch resistance? Is the actual polarization better? What about actual vision - seeing the fish deeper in the water? Could I pick the color, like the dark rose colored Suncloud SCR lenses of the 1980's? That would be worth it. If I sent you frames that I KNOW fit, could you fit rose lenses to it?

Sounds like for my $200 budget I could either get a St. Croix rod and Walmat glasses, or good glasses and an Ugly Stik.

But to be clear, I don't want to look like Elvis Costello/Roy Orbison.

And for anyone else, do such actual bifocal polarized sunglasses exist?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought some for about $40 this spring. It might have been from Costco. Mine were plus 1.5
They were adequate as a backup that I leave on the boat. My normal prescription brown tint polarized lined bifocals are much more comfortable, and much more expensive.

jdlough

Texas,

Yeah, I've got about 27 pairs of cheapo's spread all around the toys. Most even have both nose pieces.

I'm looking for all-day wearing bifocal sunglassess. Not too expensive, cuz the higher the price, the more apt to drop them in the drink.

The flip ups don't quite work because I don't need glasses for the top half.

Someone out there must make polarized bottom readers.....

jdlough

Try ebay just punch in polarized bifocal sunglass in the search icon

yep, mr 88 is a genius or I'm an idiot.

ebay's got plenty.

foodfisher

Captain

Got mine @ wally world. Snap in bifocals into a style to fit your style. Only prob. I have is when it's time to clean them there's four lenses to clean. Two sides each.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Look on ebay you shoul be able to find some really good glasses for a reasonabel price but I don't think you will find them for "cheap".

I have worn cheap polerized and expensive polerized and the expensive one are WAY better, Have Costa Del Mars now, 2nd pair, and love them, the optics are far supiror to the cheaper glasses and they are all day comfortable and I got them on Ebay for $60, list is $200.

The only reason I am on my second pair is I missplaced the foirst ones for long enough that I got new ones, my wif is wearing the forst pair now and they are 7 years old, not going to do that with Bill Dance glasses.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I messed about with cheapo polarized glasses, clip ons, one pair of Bill Dance bifocal fishing glasses (Polarized, with a clear reading lens added) for years.

This time I had my Optician (Correct title??) make me a pair of Ray Ban prescription bifocals in my prescriptions.

This is a whole different world of fishing vision.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought these things at Walgreens that you stuck on your sunglasses that were the dopler strength I needed to read for around $10. You moisened the lense the stayed put.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Have you considered using whatever standard pair of reading glass/bifocals you have now, and then using some polarized fitovers?:
http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/category.php?id=1

I use the "Cocoons" brand over my precription glasses. I love 'em. They provide both glare protection and wind protection to the eyes from all directions. They look goofy perhaps, but I gave up caring how I look long ago. These are like $30 or $40.

NYBo

Admiral

Not polarized, but I have a couple of pairs of these (in 2.5 diopter) and find them very comfortable and durable:
Dewalt

Or take a look at these, which are polarized:
Oasis