Clutch Dog Replacement

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I am contemplating on replacing my clutch dog during the off season.
I was told a few years ago that my lower was "worse for wear" and I have gotten a few more seasons out of it.
Seems not to "catch" right away when going into fwd and goes into rev alot more solidly if you know what I mean.
Have also read that if the castle nut on the shift spool wears down it will also cause shifting pproblems.

Question: is the clutch dog "softer" than the gears.......meaning it will wear out before the gears??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Clutch Dog Replacement

Question: is the clutch dog "softer" than the gears.......meaning it will wear out before the gears??

Ayuh,.... I think you'll find they're the Same hardness, 'n both wear pretty evenly, the sliding clutch, 'n the backside of the gears...
Replacin' Just the slidin' clutch will only buy ya a short time Tony,...
Run 'er till she Blows, 'n throw on an SEI....

It's gettin' so's that any more parts than the basic seal kit, 'n an Alpha drive ain't worth fixin'...
I bet you can't buy those 3 gears for it's replacement cost...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As Bond-o said, the parts alone are more than a new SEI lower (or complete drive for that matter!) and then there are the special tools require to strip the unit, and the other special tools for setting up the shim heights and backlash... Cheaper, quicker, easier with a new (with 3 year warranty) unit....

Chris.......

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Hey bondo............wasn't looking to replace the gears........just thought that if it was the sliding clutch it might be worth it.

So, you don't think it's worth it? I even read somewhere turning the clutch around may help.......

Bondo

Staff member

Hey bondo............wasn't looking to replace the gears........just thought that if it was the sliding clutch it might be worth it.

So, you don't think it's worth it? I even read somewhere turning the clutch around may help.......

Ayuh,.... Goin' where you go, No, I don't think it's at all worth the effort....

A good westerly wind would make it a Long drift to the next rock to land on....

Turnin' the slidin' clutch over is Ok, on a 5hp motor used in a farm pond....;)