Trim/tilt ram. The grommet in the top is coming out.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 Bayliner Trophy bass boat with a 1984 Force engine. 85 hp. The tilt/trim ram has a rubber grommet in the top ring. It's the pivot point between the ram and the engine. A large rod goes thru this grommet and over to the shock on the other side.
Anyway, the grommet is coming out. The only thing holding it in is the cotter pin.
How do I get that thing back in? Do I need a new one or can I just use the old one. If I need a new one, where is it available?

Thanks.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Trim/tilt ram. The grommet in the top is coming out.

take grommet completely out and inspect for rust. if any internal rust then wrap piston shaft with tape and bead blast shock eye to remove all rust. dip in phosphoric acid then conversion coating (or just use ospho for an all-in-one dip). no need for self etch primer - it's already etched from acid. use waterproof primer and paint. While you have it apart rebuild the ram making 110% sure to use new head seals. Prior to assembling tilt ram press grommet back into place using bench vice. Use rubber pads or wooden blocks to minimize paint damage. Touch up any exposed metal. put back onto boat.

if grommet is fubar then use a combination of brass bushing and nylon bushing. the brass bushing is an industrial standard 1x1odx3/4id and presses into shock eye. the nylon is 1x3/4odx9/16id and floats inside the brass bushing. it will develop a green skin after use. leave the skin, it is actually a protective layer.