chemicals to remove antifouling paint

patmacdonald

Recruit
I am wondering who makes chemical antifouling paint that I can use on my 24' C&C. she has about 4 -5 coats of Interlux antifouling paint on her now and has not been redone or touched for over 5 years. I know about Interlux Interstripe 299e but am wondering about alternatives
thanks

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: chemicals to remove antifoulilng paint

do you want to get the antifoul off or are you wanting to redo it???

if you want to get it off back to the original gel coat its a mission, you can sand it off but you need to wear appropriate safety gear.

my marina work area wont allow this to be done except by certified operators.

i dont know of a chemical that will get it off, however there are companies that will media blast if off, but again you need to see what sort of quality work they do,

and even if you manage to get all the antifoul off you will then need to restore the gel coat, probably by painting it with 2 pak

EM

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

paint on top of what you have

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are paint removers (paint strippers) made especially for fiberglass. They are gentle on the gel coats. There are many brands. Consult a marine products catalog. Some use a paper that is applied over the chemical. When the paper is peeled off, it takes the paint off.

A 24 footer will be a big job. Use plenty of stripper and paper, and be prepared to scrape and sand the balance of the paint off. Use drop cloths to capture the paint chips so you can toss them out. Heat guns and putty knives can also get stubborn paint off.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I stripped 20+ years of old paint off my 34 footer a couple years ago.
tried a chemical stripper called Peel Away.
PeelAway.jpg

It didn't work very well for multiple layers and I got some burns above the cuff of the rubber gloves.
This is after a day with the chemical stuff:
Round2005.jpg

I ended up manually scraping and sanding.
After 10 days on my back I had it looking like this:
SandingBottom021.jpg

It was a TON of work.
I would've had it professionally soda-blasted in one day but it was just too expensive (almost $1k).