150HP Force outboard - no spark at the plugs

CGraziano

Cadet
I have a 150 HP Force outboard (1992, model 1508) and I think I have some kill switch issues. At first I was getting nothing at all when turning the key. I bypassed the 2 yellow wires going into the switch, and now the starter turns but I have no spark at the plugs. I searched thru some of the older posts and I see a lot of reference to disconnect the "Black and yellow" wires. I am not very familiar with this type of engine (I'm new to outboards in general - I've only had this boat a short time and this is the first issue I have encountered), if anyone could provide a good description or even a photo of where to find these wires I would really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what would have tripped the kill switch, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to correct it!

Thanks,
Carmine

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 150HP Force outboard - no spark at the plugs

Either on the shifter itself or by the key switch there is a saftey kill switch. Check and make sure it is in the run position. This kills the motor in the event you were to get thrown from the boat. You didn't say if the motor was running before hand, and now you have problems or if it has never run at all. Also check around the motor for any loose, broken wires, or bad grounds. May be a faulty ignition key switch to. One more thing, check the flat fuse just above your coils if you have one in that location. If you do and its blown then that indicates a short and will need to be located and fixed.

CGraziano

Cadet

Bentle,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the motor was running like a champ prior to this. The battery is fully charged, and I have tested the ignition switch. When the problem first started the ignition was putting out about .5 volts. Once I bypassed the yellow wires on the kill switch it was back to putting out 12.4 and the starter was turning. I will check everything you have listed here, a broken or loose wire would make sense. Earlier today I took a look at the motor and found a black/yellow wire that was marked "STOP". Would this be part of the kill system? I was thinking about disconnecting it to see if I get my spark back.

Thanks again,
Carmine

CGraziano

Cadet

I figured out part of my problem - the piece that engages the kill switch was loose and needed to be adjusted (the lever that attaches to the shifter cable and presses the button on the switch). I put the wires back on the switch the way they were originally and the starter turns just fine. I still do not have any spark at the plugs. I just downloaded a manual and I'm trying to decipher the wiring diagram to see if I can figure out where I might have a short or bad ground that is causing this issue. Like I said earlier, I am very new to this and any input is appreciated. The local boat shop wants 80 bucks just to diagnose the issue and I really don't want to spend the $$$ if I don't have to.