OMC electric shift lower unit question

Bhaag05

Cadet
I have a 1976 175 OMC stern drive. I had to replace the forward shift coil, when I was putting it back together I noticed that the driveshaft didn't turn easy, it seems to be rubbing against the nylon fron the lock nut. The gears spin fine no binding if the driveshaft isn't in, but once I put the drive shaft in it binds and I have to use wrenchs to spin the Driveshaft. Any advice would be great.
Thanks Brandon

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC electric shift lower unit question

Is the vertical driveshaft nut torqued to specs ?

Bhaag05

Cadet

Yes it is, that was one of the first things I checked.

Redrig

what about the shims? are they good? I cant think of anything else that would do that, and I have mine apart and went and looked at it for ideas

Bhaag05

Cadet

I just realized that i was talking about the wrong part. The prop shaft will not turn easy when I install it. The drive shaft will spin great but once I put in the prop shaft neither one of the shafts want to turn. The nylon from the lock nut on the drive shaft is rubbing on the sleeve on the prop shaft.

Redrig

So the vertical shaft is sitting too low and rubbing on the prop shaft ?

Did you move anything on that main cone bearing that is on the top of the vertical shaft ?

Bhaag05

Cadet

I didn't move anything on the top. Should I be able to spin the prop shaft with ease and if I turn the drive shaft the prop shaft shouldn't turn because the coils aren't engaged?

Redrig

Ya, they should both be able to spin with ease.

but if you spin one, the other may spin a little bit and that is normal, even if it is not engaged it will still spin but it will be minimal.