Outboard boat taking on too much water in splashwell

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have boat problem,getting a lot of water in motor well,that is leaking into hull through steering controls how to I solve this

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boatt

Have boat problem,getting a lot of water in motor well,that is leaking into hull through steering controls how to I solve this

Ayuh,... Put a better sealing boot 'round the control cables, or a lighter motor...

What kinda boat, 'n power are We talkin' 'bout anyways,..??

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

18ftchris craft lancer 140 hp evinrude.water is just about level with transom.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Just thinking(typing) out loud so bear with me!

Transom is at water line, thats not right, should be a few inches of free board.

Whats the max HP rating, thinking about weight of motor?
How much weight do you have in the stern of the boat?, batteries, fuel, tools, dead animals ETC????

Could this boats foam be saturated with water adding a few hundred pounds??

I understand that the boot is probably leaking, but your sitting awfully low in the water, better figure out away to lift it out alittle.

NYBo

Admiral

rbh is spot on. Your boat's attitude (position in the water, not it's mental status) is wrong, and you need to figure out why. One good wave or wake from astern and you'll be in deep trouble.

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weight of motor is about 340lbs has battery 2 passengers in back 2up front

NYBo

Admiral

What is the maximum HP capacity of the boat? Is the bow high?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking that you got alot of weight at the stern, it might be fine on plane but sitting still your one wave away from a swampin!
Relocate as much of the weight as you can forward, if you have those back to back seats put your passengers in those first till you get up on plane then let them go to the rear seatting if your set up that way.

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great advice,did you ever hear tell of a boat well guard,if so how does it work ,would it solve my problem

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Great advice,did you ever hear tell of a boat well guard,if so how does it work ,would it solve my problem

With the exception of some smaller aluminum fishing boats, I do not think I have heard of a boat that takes an outboard that did not have some kind of a slash/well guard in front of the transom (transom is a pocket in the stern??)
Self bails in that when water gets in it goes out a small hole back to the lake??

southkogs

Staff member

ringo - can you post some pictures? rbh is giving you some good directions to look, but something isn't sounding right at all. A 140hp hanging on a 17' shouldn't pull the transom down to the water unless something is wrong. Whatever that "something" is could sink you at some point.

If you can show us some pics that might help.

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

here are some pics. The white stripe represents the water line.

Attachments

• DSCN1319-1.JPG
    DSCN1319-1.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN1320-1.JPG
    DSCN1320-1.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1322-1.JPG
    DSCN1322-1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1321-1.JPG
    DSCN1321-1.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 3

Looks like she had some transom work? You sure there's not a bunch of water underneath?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Looks like that transom has been cut down to accomodate a shorter shaft motor.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Is this boat an I/O that has been modified for an outboard? That entire transom looks "wrong" to me.

EDIT: Sort of looks like someone had a short shaft outboard and cut the transom to make it work. :confused:

+1, looks like the motor should be about 6-8 inches higher, actually it looks like in pic 3 and 4 the origanal height and how much they cut it down.