1988 Gibon Executive 44' x 14' Fuel Issue

Wet Tater

Cadet
Folks,
I'm having an issue on the starboard 454 engine. Engine will not start unless the starting fluid is sprayed and I am not getting much if any fuel up to the carb. I take the fuel supply line off at the carb and while cranking the engine slight trickle of fuel at times but mostly non-existent. I am used to working on cars and can?t imagine there?s going to be a difference but I guessing it?s a fairly simple system. The fuel pump has to be bad. I don't think there?s an electric pump and the carb fuel filter was dirty but not too bad. I have yet to take the in line fuel filter canister off to check but again it has to be the pump....right? BTW...port 454 starts and runs like a champ.
Thanks,

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Gibon Executive 44' x 14' Fuel Issue

Not necessarily. You could run the pump inlet from a remote tank to see if it's pumping properly. Should be 6-7 pounds. Isolate that part of the system first.

Wet Tater

Cadet

I was thinking about hooking a suction pump up to the line coming from the tank to see if I could pull fuel from it. That would tell me if there's a clogged line...right?

I mean, again this is a fairly simple system and I cant get the engine started, no fuel coming from accelerator pump nozzles thus my theory of a pump.

Bondo

Staff member

I mean, again this is a fairly simple system and I cant get the engine started, no fuel coming from accelerator pump nozzles thus my theory of a pump.

Ayuh,... It could be anything back to the tank,...
The fuel pump hasta have fuel available to it, for it to pump...
That's why mpdive suggests a remote tank..

1st thing to do is Check the contents of the fuel filter, 'n Replace it with a new 1...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Does the motor with an issue have it own pickup tube in the fuel tank??
If it does, pick up tube could be plugged or has a hole and sucking air or the anti siphon is sticking/stuck or the fuel line is pinched or the pump is failing or the fuel/water filter is plugged???

(don't think I missed anything??)

There's a couple to look at for for you, good luck.

Wet Tater

Cadet

Good advice guys.
Yes the motor that wont run has its own fuel supply.
BTW...wheres the antisiphon valve located?

Bondo

Staff member

Good advice guys.
Yes the motor that wont run has its own fuel supply.
BTW...wheres the antisiphon valve located?

Ayuh,... the fitting at the tank's outlet....