1985 115hp has no forward or reverse?

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took the boat out yesterday, take of from the dock fine, start going at about half throttle it started to sort of slip. Then reved clear up and nothing. I have no reverse or forward. Pulled the plug on LU the oil has sparkles but not a lot on the magnet. I checked the shifting rod and its going into gear. In forward the prop has about a 1/4 to half turn in freeplay then catches but is pretty rough to turn. I guess my question would be if it sounds like a complete rebuild or something less?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 115hp has no forward or reverse?

SPUN HUB: Mark the inner and outer prop hubs with an indelible marker, run the engine in the water, under load and examine marks. If they've moved relative to each other, hub is spun. Take prop to a prop shop to have it rehubbed

Prop slipping marks.jpg

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The prop and hub are brand new less than 2hrs. I pulled the hub out and it doesn't show any signs of slippage. I guess I could try my spare. I ran it on the muffs and in gear at 1500 rpm the prop spins but very slowly. I drained the LU and oil is black but doesn't smell burned, however I did find some shards in it.

nwcove

Admiral

"shards" doesnt sound so good.

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes steel chunks are never good in oil. I pulled the LU, took off the water pump housing, spun the input shaft in forward and I could hold the prop shaft still. In reverse I couldn't hold it. I think a rebuild is in order, or maybe a used one from ebay or something.