1964 Starcraft Slight rebuild

Ink1984

Cadet
my boat.jpg Trying to find out the model as the only thing that is not original is the steering wheel any help would be nice . I also noticed that the front of the boat seems to be heavy and I believe there is water in it and have no idea of how to get it out any pics and advice would be nice . I will post new pics later today thank you

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1964 Starcraft Slight rebuild

I'm fairly new to boating myself but have been reading these forums every night at work so take what i'm gonna say for what it's worth.

First off, nice find although I can't help ya with the model name. I'm sure there are others here that could.

As to the water in the bow, make sure you've pulled the plug and than jack the nose way the heck up in the air to remove as much water as possible. This will let the water run to the back and drain. I wound up putting a chunk of 4x4 under my wheel jack to get the nose up high enough to drain fairly quickly. I also put some concrete blocks under the tongue and various points of the trailer so that everything was supported in that tipped up position.

If the water has gotten into the floatation foam than my best advice is to head over to the restro forums and start reading. A lot of good info there.

Ink1984

Cadet

Thank you I will do that today . Yeah I thought it would definitely be worth restoring it's all fiberglass and heck I got it for a tattoo

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Go to the Starcraft section of these forums and go through the brochure section at the top of the Starcraft page. That will help you to identify the hull. If it is retaining water you might
Have some rot and a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!

Ink1984

Cadet

Thank you it looks to be a fury View attachment 115562View attachment 115563View attachment 115564View attachment 115565 .. Here are some more pictures. also there are no cracks or repaired areas I was wondering what would rot the floor is very sturdy no soft spots and it's all fiberglass . Also right in front of the plug there is what seems to be a lever or something I can't see it but it moves from left to right it's about an inch long I'm not sure if it's anything at all I've restored one boat before this but the flooring was wood so it was easier to get to...

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are wood strings which are supports for the floor as well as support for the hull from what I've learned reading here. Since you don't feel any soft spots you might have gotten lucky. Once rot starts though you'll have to cut out all the rot or else it will infect any new stuff you put in.

Once again tip the nose skyward let it drain and dry out than check again for any soft spots. I hope ya got lucky and have my fingers crossed for ya.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ink1984

Cadet

Okay I was wondering thank you again .. I did drain it at about six pm and I figured my best bet would be to leave it for a couple of days in this heat down here hopefully that will help .. Also is it plausible to drill small holes in the floor like three wide and six or nine length wise and fill with fish I guess I mean is that a good idea ?

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hmm ill let someone with more knowledge field that one, although you night also want to hit up the starcraft section of these forums for your answer

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ink1984

Cadet

LOL sorry I meant to say Foam it's this stupid auto correct lol.. I bet you thought I was nut

southkogs

Staff member

LOL sorry I meant to say Foam it's this stupid auto correct lol.. I bet you thought I was nut

I was just thinking, "what the heck is this guy trying to do?" Then ran across this post. LOL!! That's funny.

When you lifted the bow up, how long did the boat drain water? if only for a moment or two, then you're likely okay - especially if the front end is much lighter now. You always want to store it with a bow up attitude and the plug out so water can escape.

Once it's done draining, look from the inside of the boat into the bilge. You should have an empty "box" like area at the very back of the boat, and at the bottom of that "box" on the transom should be the drain hole you plulled the plug from. I don't know what type of "lever" would be there - UNLESS, you haven't pulled the plug and it's plugged from the inside. If that's the case, that little lever is probably the release for the plug. That bilge area get's all full of crud and corruption when a boat has been sitting for a long time. a good shop vac back there might be a good idea.

If you've got no soft spots in the floor, the boat drains water and isn't too heavy to lift the bow up and you are confident the transom is solid ... you've got a nice project on your hands. Hope it goes well for you.

Ink1984

Cadet

Thanks .. I drained it and left it with the bow high the floor is really solid... The transom has a big aluminum plate it feels sturdy I've went over the boat top to bottom the only thing im concerned with is how did the water get into the hull I mean is this somewhat common with a boat that has been sitting? Also there are a few tiny cracks on the bottom and side it looks like there just in the paint and can that be fixed with bondo glass I know I'm asking for a lot of info I just don't want to dump money into something if it's not worth it ..... I would like to one day give this boat to my son...

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well if it were stored outside without a cover and with the plug left in that could account for some of the water if not most of it.

If you are looking to restore the boat, head to the restro section and begin reading. You'll learn how to check the transom, how to fill those cracks properly. Also take pictures of the cracks and their locations and that will help those with more experience can help ya with how serious those cracks are.