can't remove seat post

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice
For some reason I cannot remove the fishing seatin the rear of the boat. I push the little button and pull up on the seat wth no success. Has anyone ever fought thiss issue and won?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: can't remove seat post

Yup, put the seat on the pedestal and push the button while rocking the seat back and forth side to side... it'll give up and come out eventually.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same issue on my Ranger. I've been told to use a pipe wrench as well(chain type). I just quit messing with mine. Will deal with it next year when I replace all the carpet.

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I have a Ranger as well. I will try jigngrub's rocking motion and see if that gets it. If I can move it to the front post I will leave it there. I am 6'4" and would like the taller seat near the trolling motor where I sit. My son is 11 & too short to sit in that one so he can sit in the rear on the shorter seat. Thanks for the advice.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Just don't grab the seat and pull straight up with all your might. Chances are, if it works, you'll either catch it in the chops or land on your backside while cutting your back on any and all sharp objects in the boat. Maybe some day I'll relate the reason I know this in the stupid human tricks section.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had same problem,ended up using a chain wrench and even a large pipe wrench to get the post to turn and worked it while pulling up. With mine the base socket (cast aluminum?) began to corrode between the plastic cup and the base creating a death grip on the post. Once apart I removed the plastic cup, not easy.
Then cleaned it real well with a wire brush to open the diameter. Good luck
Steve