got into some rocks with a fifty classic 45 hp OOPS

ottsixx

Cadet
the dog and I took the boat to the lake today an 87 bass tracker with an 87 merc 50 classic in 45 hp and I got into some rocks as I was down to a just trolling speed when I got into them and the engine went down so I just floated on across them and as the water got deeper I bumped the starter and the engine just powered right back up and I engaged the drive lever back into go and we took off nice and easy and lil as we go I proceed to accelerate and as I powered up toward the top end it kinda seemed like the trans was shifting into neutral or it just didnt seem to have the power that it did befor and we stayed on the water for another couple hours and as long as I was at or under 2000 RPM it seemed to run as normal but when I opened it up at the top somthing just didnt seem right the drive and once out of the water there was just some very tiny dingers in the prop blade and wasnt as bad as I expected am I just imagining things or could I have issues with somthing else.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: got into some rocks with a fifty classic 45 hp OOPS

Sounds like you hit hard enough to spin the prop. Hopefully it is only a spun prop. A spun prop will engage until the rpms are to much, then it slips. Good luck

ottsixx

Cadet

can these be repaired or better off to the scrap pile,thanks for your help

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can be repaired probably cheaper if you can find a used one. I carry a spare after I spun my prop.

j_martin

Admiral

Your prop has a rubber shock hub designed to take the shock of minor bumps, including the shift clunk when you put it into gear. If it gets stopped abruptly, as in on a rock, the hub rubber will slip sacrificially, usually saving major damage. After that, when torque exceeds a fairly low limit, it will just spin freely. You can usually idle back to harbor with a spun prop, but you won't get on step with it.

The rubber part is replaceable. It takes a special press the prop shop would have. If the prop is worth rebuilding, they can do that at the same time.

Check for a bent prop shaft. If it's good, fix or replace the prop and yer good to go. If it's bent, deal with that before you use the motor again.

ottsixx

Cadet

Ive got another prop in the boat and Ill switch em out and find me another spare and thanks for all the knowledgeable info.