Hull Cleaning

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I just but my first boat this summer and looking for some cleaning advice. We put the boat on a in water slip this year. We currently don't have a vehicle that can tow the boat. Were going to get a truck this winter for next season. Anyway on the question. The marina requires your boat to be cleaned before winter storage. As you can imagine a lot of algae and what not has built up. They charge $175 for on trailer power washing or $225 for suspended acid washing. Of course trying to save a buck I had a buddy come help me pull the boat out and we took it to a local car wash. Once I was there I discovered the only car wash in town really sucked. The pressure washer did not have much power. I went ahead and did the best I could. It removed most the buildup but the hull is still discolored. In fact the marina just called me today asking if I washed it cause its still green.

So my question: Should I bite the bullet and pay him to wash the boat? Is the acid wash really necessary? What if I wait till spring and buy some acid wash and clean it then? Will the discoloration come off after sitting through the winter?

Also, next year we are going to do out of water private storage. So it wont get all nasty. I really want to the boat to look decent for the next few years.

Thanks,
Mitchell

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hull Cleaning

Hi Mitchell,
I've seen some guys literally rip the gelcoat right off their boats using a pressure washer--so I'd be careful with that. StarBrite hull cleaner is great stuff, I've used it for years. It's acid-based, so you'll need to wear rubber gloves and be careful not to inhale the fumes, and you'll also need to make sure to wet your trailer down before spraying the cleaner on your hull. I put it in a spray bottle, spray it on the hull, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub it with a long-handle brush and rinse. The end result is a clean-as-new hull. It's been my experience that the hull cleaner will remove stains even if they're a season old. Good luck!!

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply. Im not too worried about about the pressure washer I used. I could literately put my hand directly in front of it. No pain at all. Now that im researching this issue I found out about that!. That why I'm curious what the marina uses for a pressure wash.

So it would be your advice to save my $200 and use StarBrite in the spring?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is the stuff pros use......it costs 30 bux at any janitorial supply.

industrial strength toilet bowl and urinal cleaner.

randomsummerpicsandfire068-1.jpg

i do acid washes all the time.......you dont need a pressure washer........just some of this stuff in a bucket.....add a little water to make it go farther......then use a brush type broom. to apply.....wear gloves and all the necessary safety stuff.

BonairII

Commander

"The Works" toilet cleaner (Walmart $1.50 a bottle) works very well,too

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Just picked up a gallon of On and Off. I think I'll take some before and after pics when I do the job and write a review or something.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi Mitchell,
I've seen some guys literally rip the gelcoat right off their boats using a pressure washer--so I'd be careful with that.

Thats not possible unless the gel was failing in the first place. .. or if you have some kind of

Just picked up a gallon of On and Off. I think I'll take some before and after pics when I do the job and write a review or something.

Yup.. on and off is the best thing I have seen on the open market. Use it on Dry hulls. Wear protection ( respo/eyes/body ).

YD.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On and Off seems to be highly recommended. What do you use to clean you motor? You have to cover your trailer and your lower end with the acid based cleaners right?

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only hit against some of these cleaners is they are not friendly to the environment at all. That's why I settled on Slimy Grimy. I can use it right at the lake outside my place and knowing I'm not doing any harm to the environment gives me peace of mind.

See you on the lake

Joe

Brewman61

Ensign

Muriatic acid is another inexpensive option that works very well mixed 50/50 with water. That's how I get the summer's crud off my boat.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I buy my cleaner ar Walmart, Seasense Hull Cleaner. About $8 a bottle. Spray it on , wait and rinse it off.