Volvo Penta Dipstick

bick

Seaman Apprentice
I just changed my oil in my 2008 VP 3.0GLP-J. The manual calls for 3.5 qts. After putting in 3.5 quarts, and running the engine a few minutes, the dipstick shows the oil level right at the ADD mark. I'm wondering if the dipstick does not go all the way in. The dipstick tube is not centered within the larger tube where you can screw on the oil extractor. Please look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Bob

With Dipstick Removed...
vpds1.jpg

With Dipstick Inserted all I can...
vpds2.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Dipstick

The dipstick needs to go all the way down. Straighten them up so the dipstick fits down inside, then you will be getting an accurate reading.

bick

Seaman Apprentice

The dipstick needs to go all the way down. Straighten them up so the dipstick fits down inside, then you will be getting an accurate reading.

Do you think I should use, let's say, needle nose pliers to pry the inner tube so it is centered within the outer tube? I just don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your help!

Don S

Hit your local hardware store and get a hose repair kit with a hose barb. then screw it down tight on the fitting and use the barb to push the fitting into position.

One like this, you won't need the clamp.

jid9b7ALA0V_w10e6kp_78LxtD_a1uYNNA9SvUI-SZznQMV7a_k0vLviBGXftpxmR5JAaUEHYPp1X3fWELORdkxO7knZ_RMqLUww2vAgWXSlvlCMyiZZp8NX0aObvwbhBlspw6_Np-fIBQBDCwFyZqlPRpUUo8D41LuDX0wO467P8U5YYLsAOWeLqeTdyfYSxO6WeBA7anraGtE0VSCqD6nwUlBAanAZWDroBOkR4yj3Vax5Xs7ZjFSaDH4D9UDgx_5Zk25o1JntSTMpPMt4hp050M1KVHH9otET4SE

bick

Seaman Apprentice

I got it all fixed now just by using a screwdriver to shift the threaded section over a bit so the dipstick tube is centered and the dipstick goes all the way in. Now I get an accurate oil level reading. THANKS Don!

Jobe_Pro

Cadet

Don,

With that hose fitting and a hose attached, can I extract the oil from the engine with a drill pump(after warm up of corse) does the Volvo dip stick tube go to the bottom of the pan

Don S

You need to start a new thread of your own, and add some engine info. Since we don't know what engine you have, who knows if the dipstick tube goes to the bottom of the pan or not.