my tilt/trim stoped working

outdoordad

Cadet
I have a 2004 40 hp. Johnson and my trim stoped working, its done this before but i found a wire broke below the switch so i reconnected all the wires and used shrink tubing and taped them real good and it worked great for the longest time.Now it went down and would not come back up then stoped completely up or down. I have the up/down switch on the motor as well but it is'nt working either. When I use either switch I noticed that the two relays click, so I replaced the relays but still nothing. Is there a fuse anywhere that could have blown? Please help???? Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: my tilt/trim stoped working

Find the wires that come from the t/t mtr, split the connector, get some jumper wires and run 12 volts directly to the mtr. Pos to blue for up, pos to green for down as you reverse the wires from the battery..

nwcove

Admiral

when you did your repair, did you solder the wires, or just twist and heat shrink?

outdoordad

Cadet

when you did your repair, did you solder the wires, or just twist and heat shrink?

No, I just twisted them and used shrink tube & electrical tape. Should I pull them back apart and try soldering them?

outdoordad

Cadet

Ok, thank you so much I will try that and get back with you.

outdoordad

Cadet

Find the wires that come from the t/t mtr, split the connector, get some jumper wires and run 12 volts directly to the mtr. Pos to blue for up, pos to green for down as you reverse the wires from the battery..

Ok, I did exactly what you said and the trim works fine up & down, so I'm guessing its a problem in one of the connectors or is there a fuse in there somewhere I'm not seeing? Thanks again for your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The fuse that controls your t/t buttons also controls your starting. If it is blown your mtr wouldn't start. Sounds to me like you have some bad or loose conections in the box where your relays are located.This box is wired directly to the battery from the starter solenoid.

outdoordad

Cadet

Thanks again, I will check that first thing in the a.m and get back with you.It's just hard to see because there are so many wires and connectors in there and alot of them are in sleeves or looms and are hard to trace.I appreciate your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I know all about that. You might try CDI Electronics.com and see if they have a wiring diagram for your mtr.