What tools do you keep on board / What have you fixed on the water?

UncleSpidey

Seaman
I'm curious....What tools do you keep on board? What spare parts? What have you been able to repair while underway because you thought about it beforehand and had what you needed to get home?

JBooth

Cadet
Re: What tools do you keep on board / What have you fixed on the water?

I always keep a wrench, screw driver, sand paper (to clean plugs), and starter fluid/carb cleaner. I have had to use them all at one point. I got my first boat a few months ago. Good motor but a bit old. First time I took it out it stranded a friend and I. If I did not have the starter fluid it would have been a long paddle back to the camp (turned out had water in the carb). Thats about all the tools that I keep on my boat but mine is not to complicated (tiller drive and an aluminum hull) so most would carry more.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a variety of tools, that many will list, but I always have a multimeter on board to find electrical problems. I also always have a mask, snorkel, fins and knife for in water problems. My Leatherman gets more use than anything else.

southkogs

Staff member

I carry a few different things - screwdriver (one of the multi head kinds), pliers, adjustable wrench, 1/2 box end wrench & a small socket set. They're easy to stow in a small tool bag I have.

The only time that I have ever needed them ... I had left them at home :facepalm:

Volphin

Lieutenant

I usually take an adjustable wrench, pliers, stubby flat and phillips head screwdriver. I had the alternator adjuster bolt back out while on a day long cruise. Was going about 25 knots and all of a sudden it sounds like there is a banshee in the doghouse. The bolt head was in contact with the alt fan blades, and shrapnel was going everywhere. Alt did not loosen up belt wise, thanks to the other mount, but it took about a half hour to get it started and tightened back up with the wrench. Tweaked the fan blades with the pliers and alt was no worse for wear. I never did change the pulley fan. ;)

V

BonairII

Commander

I keep a small toolbag onboard. it has various wrenches, spark tester, zip ties, vice grips etc. I also carry extra spark plugs and prop.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
I have a small socket set plus a spark pkug socket, extra spark plugs, needle file, prop wrench, spare prop, needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers, locking pliers, screwdrivers, roll of ss safety wire, electric meter ($10 radio shack non-digital), electrical tape, cable ties, flashlight, and I'm sure a few other things I forgot.

Don't have to pull the tpols out much but in 30 years I have changed plugs and done other minor engine repaurs, repaired minor electrical problems, R&R props ( rope/ line wrapped around). Nothing major, just relatively minor stuff.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I carry a lot of tools, primarily because I have so many systems on the boat... plumbing, heating, cooling, 12v and 110v electrical, etc. I need to be able to fix a leak or repair an electrical connection.

As for what I've fixed on the water, engine-wise- not much. I've replaced an alternator belt, swapped out the fuel filters and rerouted some fuel lines.

Towing insurance is a good investment :)

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I keep an extra belt and water fuel seperator along with screwdrivers, pliers,knife, socket set and Ijust added a 50# thrust trolling motor.
I have a bolt on tool box on my truck that I keep just about anything and everything I have. Have not had to do anywork on the water.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I only seen 1 reference to tape? And it was electrical tape. I can't believe I did not see duct tape anywhere yet.

I keep both tapes, a small set of allen keys, a multi-tip screw driver, a small hammer, a file, extra clamps, a pair of adjustables, extra wire, fuses, belts, spark plugs, points, condenser, a couple rags, qt of oil, power steering fluid, starter fluid, an extra prop, a tube of marine epoxy and I can't think of anything else I have in my tool bag.

I know its a lot but our lake is pretty big and it can be a while before someone gets to you.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

halfmoa

Ensign

In addition to the hand tools mentioned you guys should check out the stretchy silicone tape. http://www.rescuetape.com/ This stuff is amazing! You can fix a hot, wet, leaking hose with it and never think about it again! My buddy bought it for me as kind of a gag because I bought him a package of 8x11 duct tape sheets for christmas. He loved the sheets and I can't do without the silicone tape!

BTW, it's not nearly as expensive in stores as it is from their site.

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

Screwdrivers, channellock pliers, adjustable wrench, sockets (including spark plug socket), filter wrench, spare fuel filters (1 of each), spare set of spark plugs, and a spare prop and related parts for that. It all fits (except for the prop) in a handy Plano box with a rubber seal on the lid.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a bag of general hand tools and sockets. Spare belts, plugs... also duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties. Thought about adding some jumper cables to my kit as well. Anyone carry jumper cables? I've never needed any of it (knock on wood)

chriscraft254

Commander

I have a cooler that houses my tool bin on the boat. Half of it is electrical and half is mechanical tools. Only had to put a slipped power steering belt back on once while out but I have straightened out other things on the boat, like wiring while the fishing was slow. I also carry a 12 volt cordless screwgun so I can get access to anything quikly. Spare prop with hub and extra cotter key. Jumper Box for others who run there battery dead.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a VERY cheap (chinese) tool kit from wally world on board. I think I paid 15 bucks, and it is in plastic case about 15" x 15" x 3". Sockets, pliers, hex, screwdrivers, and a nut driver with a variety of torx and square drive. In addition I keep a variety of stainless screws, tape, fuses, lightbulbs, etc. On the water I have replaced a few screws and lights, and helped a buddy with a slipping belt.

halfmoa

Ensign

I have a bag of general hand tools and sockets. Spare belts, plugs... also duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties. Thought about adding some jumper cables to my kit as well. Anyone carry jumper cables? I've never needed any of it (knock on wood)

Brought jumper cables on the day my starter solenoid quit. I shorted acrossed the solenoid terminals at the ramp, got some funny looks (and one thumbs up) and we were on our way!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If I'm going out to test something that I just installed or fixed, I bring the tools related to that install or repair.

I used to carry all sorts of tools for the boat, but never used any of it. I've decided that the extra weight and lack of use wasn't worth having aboard. Now I only carry my Leatherman (which sux since I never wear a belt on the boat), a spare prop, prop wrench, and Rescue Tape (see halfmoa's post above), and a couple of spare fuses. The best tool I have for breakdowns is my BoatUS towing policy.

The other tools I carry are all related to Life Saving. I keep a very well stocked ditchbag that never leaves the boat. If you don't have a ditchbag, get one started, and forget about the boat tools.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep a good sized tool kit on board all my boats. Pliars, sockets/drive, vice grips, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, etc, all the usual stuff. I also keep jumper cables, a large diameter tow rope (never tow a boat with anchor line!), duct tape, electrical tape, and some other tools including a filter wrench that fits my fuel filter / water seperator. I also care a grease gun.

Also, have several lanyards for your tools so that any tool that's used where it might get dropped overboard can quickly be attached to a lanyard to avoid losing it.

I have never had to make anything more than minor "tighten a screw" repairs, but I have helped others who were dead in the water several times. On was a group of younger boaters who ran the battery dead while playing the stereo on a sand bar, another guy had the adj bolt of his alternator come lose, towed a guy with a dead engine, etc.

A couple of important points:

Make sure you know how to change your prop--and by that I mean take it all the way off and put it back on--in your driveway or in some other safe place. That way you KNOW how to do it when the time comes. And if you boat long enough, it WILL come.

Keep in mind, if you boat big water and have a sterndrive, you may have to get in the water to change the prop. That is when you'll thank yourself for knowing how to do it in advance.

When you do this dry run, you'll discover interesting things. For example, I discovered that my adjustable wrench that I thought would fit the prop nut, did NOT, in fact, fit the prop nut. Discovering that in the driveway saves a lot of time and expense!

Also, do you have a lug wrench that fits your trailer lugs? I got caught on this once. No, your car/truck probably does not have one of those old school crossbones wrenches, it probably just includes a wrench that fits the vehicle's lugs. What are the chances your trailer's are the same size? About zero.

For spares, I carry a spare prop and all prop hardware. Nut, retainer, etc. I carry a spare fuel filter/water seperator, 2 qts of oil, WD40, electrical wire, fuses, 2 flashlights, spare trailer bearings and misc hardware.

Grouse

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I always have had jumper cables and they have paid for themselves many times over, in addition to the assistance I have given others.
I recommend against the cheap tool kits with everything in them. I find they just fail at the point you need them. With repairs at sea, things are going wrong enough. I have many times tried 4-5 sockets the same size before the last one--the craftsman--works.

One of the newer items I now carry is a spare water seperator, filter wrench (the band type) and large zip lock for the old filter. You're going to replace it anyway.

Rather that get in specifics, think strategy. You will be called upon to fix all kinds of stuff, so you need versatile tools and materials. Good electric wire, for example, can fix an electrical problem or a mechanical one (broken bimini). You will do a lot of McGuyvering.

along the same lines, the underwire in a busty girl's bra will work as a shear pin. So rather than fill up the boat with extra shear pins, take along a busty girl! But be sure it's a blonde; they get suspicious after you hit that same stump every trip.