looking at a larson, should i run

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
it a 86 larson with a 4.3 liter engine and cobra outdrive. should i run from the outdrive ? I hear some say they last and others say the are no good and can't get parts.
question
is the 4.3 the same as the 4.3 merc
1) is there parts available.(maintenance parts or odd parts)
2) i heard there is a conversion kit to swap to a merc.
3) if there is a kit, do you have to change the coupler and what else would have to be done.
4) would a merc transom ring bolt on or is there major transom mods.

thanks for any info

etracer68

Ensign
Re: looking at a larson, should i run

OMC built a good stern drive, but its become harder to find parts, and good service tects to work on them. I had one (Cobra, rebuilt with neg 5 deg gears), and it was good for years. Sorry I dont know much on the conversion though. I did notice that the Cobras seemed to shift harder then the Merc too, but all in all, still a good stern drive. I personaly, would not purchase a boat with an OMC stern drive, it was all of 15 years ago when I had mine.

Philster

Captain

It's safe to say that this is opinion-based, but well over 75% of the people here would recommend you find something other than an OMC drive.

I knew a few guys that hang onto them because they are familiar with them and work on them and are very well networked to other people in boating. It's become a cult following in some ways.

Probably not for you.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

It's safe to say that this is opinion-based, but well over 75% of the people here would recommend you find something other than an OMC drive.

That, and the fact it's a 25 year old OMC.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info, was kinda leaning away from it. Was just wondering cause it was one of those good deals:rolleyes:

TilliamWe

Banned

mrchev, the "kit" to change to an Alpha One Gen 2 is $300 from SEI. All you change is the gimbal, it appears. But then you have to buy a $1500 new SEI Alpha One Gen 2 drive. So you're talking about $1800 into a 25 year old boat. TYhen the 4.3 probably has the one piece "batwing" exhaust manifolds too, right? Well, they aren't available anymore, and to change them costs about $1000. So I would think walking away at a brisk pace, if not actually running, is warranted!

southkogs

Staff member

It's become a cult following in some ways.

The "Rocky Horror Picture Show" of stern drives. I got a chuckle out of that line ... though, it's probably pretty close :D

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It really depends on what you expect out of the boat.
I bought an 87 with a 4.3 cobra with two soft spots in the floor.
All I expect out of the boat is 3-4 seasons before I get 2+ foot disease.
It was a "good buy" as you say. My boat was well taken care of (except the floor) the engine is strong and the drive runs and shifts like butter.
So it is really a story of value economics in my opinion.

If you plan on keeping the boat for a long time I would agree shy away from an OMC.

If like me it is your first boat and you do not plan to keep it that long at may be a great cost to use ratio boat to learn on.

My opinion only.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at it this way. If the boat itself is in great condition, if you were to put 1500-3000 more into it, would the boat "still" cost you less than a newer boat with what you want...IE a Mercruiser. I myself found a great deal on a Sport Craft with a 4.3 Cobra. The Marina who serviced it said it was the cleanest, best running engine of that era they had seen in a long time. Couple that with the fact the trailer it was sitting on was worth at-least 4000.00 made it a no brainer for me. I bought theSport Craft not for the engine (ok a little, it had the size of motor I wanted) but because they handle the waves very well in the type of fishing I do. Almost a cult following on the great lakes. If I have to replace the engine someday, I won't mind because I know what I have and the boat still suits me. The kicker is, you need to make sure the boat is in good condition, such as a good floor, transom and stringers. It's rare to find a boat of that era in good condition hull wise. If yours is and the motor is decent go for it!

See you on the lake

Joe