1986 OMC 3.0/cobra

Ben_Jr

Recruit
I have a 1986 omc 3.0 cobra with omc outdrive. i was running my engine and noticed a small vent type hole located on the water pump housing. i removed and replaced the impellar, sealed everything up and water is still being seen coming out that little hole on the left side of the water pump housing. the engine does not overheat. but once i replace the cover back on, i am seeing water seeping through the cover because of the little hole. is this normal??? i noticed that this is the original water pump housing from 1986. the hole is not a crack or anything like that. the hole is too perfectly round. any help on this would be appreciated.....

Ben_Jr

Recruit
Re: 1986 OMC 3.0/cobra

I may have troubled everybody in explaining what was going on. but i found out from my neighborhood marina mechanic that my impellar housing has a vent hole.... and its normal for water to run through it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Normally, that vent has a little 90? nipple on it with a hose so the water doesn't leak out the edge of the cover. You don't need it though. You are fine.

Ben_Jr

Recruit
one end of that hose goes to the housing itself..... what about the other end???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It just pokes down inside the cavity below. It's only purpose is to direct the water so it doesn't leak out the back cover.