Still doesn't seem to idle down right. Now what?

RAMoore

Recruit
My '70 6hp wouldn't idle when I bought it and ran waaay rich. The previous owner had replaced the tank, line, and spark plugs. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb (gaskets, needle, & seat), checked and set the points to 0.020 and checked the plugs to 0.030, checked the fuel pump screen, replaced a broken idle mixture screw and set it at 1 1/2 turns out from bottom, replaced the thermostat, and changed the oil. I didn't change the points because they looked pretty new. I did dress them with a point file. The coils looked good too.

And the dang thang STILL won't idle. As soon as I rotate the throttle handle far enough so that the cam releases the carb linkage it dies. And the idle mixture screw still doesn't seem to have that much of an effect. It does affect it some, just not enough. On the plus side, it doesn't run as rich as before and it does run well above idle.

Is this because it's being run in a trash can? Going to the lake tomorrow to try it there.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Still doesn't seem to idle down right. Now what?

Did you remove the core plug from the top of the carb and clean the idle circuit?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got a very old 50 hp with same problem. Please stay with it and post your fix/results...

RAMoore

Recruit

Did you remove the core plug from the top of the carb and clean the idle circuit?

Yep. Took it out, that's when I found the old point of the original idle mixture broken off. Carefully pushed out the broken point and tapped in a new plug that came with the carb kit. I also put some sealer on top to make sure I didn't have an air leak.
I used canned carb cleaner, pipe cleaners, and compressed air to clean the carb. Tried again today with the same results. It runs great, it just won't idle.
Maybe someone could post a pic of their motor in the idle position so I could see where the throttle cam is when the motor is idling.

Thanks for the help.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked to see if you have good, strong fire? Is it jumping at least 1/4"? On my old 25 johnson ...Once I got a checker (used an old plug that I bent the wire electrode back) I discovered that it didn't have good fire on one cylinder.. put in a new condenser and it runs like new at any speed.