Evinrude 7.5hp starting problems 1982

yamzy1

Cadet
Hi I have a evinrude 1982 E8RCNR 7.5hp engine.

having a big problem with it right now its a bit temperamental. its just had a new impellor, plugs, gaskets and new drive shaft bearings and seals, basically a full rebuild last week and tested it today.

The problem is, is that it usually starts first few pulls after you begin your trip (or at home) and then after 2-3 miles we usually stop for some fishing etc.
Well getting it started again was a nightmare, even when the engine had fully cooled, but it doesnt really get hot.
apart from this starting issue it runs fantastic.

to get it started again i checked plugs/spark and then poured some fuel down the plug holes, this worked the first time but still took 10 pulls. The second time this would not work and had to row about half a mile, although it did try to fire several times, but not instantly after the fuel was put down the barrel and then pull cord snapped after about 50 pulls.

I'm really baffled I thought it was a fuel problem, as i know the bulb doesnt go rockhard. you can squeeze it for ever so i was thinking that, but why wouldn't it fire with petrol in the barrel. I'm releatively new to engines... maybe theres something im missing? could it be flooding it some how ? i thought this too but the first time i checked plugs they were dry

will also add i pulled carb pipe off and squezzed the bulb and petrol was flowing through that pipe good.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 7.5hp starting problems 1982

I am assuming that the motor was rebuilt by someone other than yourself. If so they probably also rebuilt the carburetor. If they did not reset the idle jet the same number of turns out as it was before, this may explain why it is hard to start. Also with the block all apart, they also had to remove the throttle cable off the timing plate. Maybe it also got out of adjustment & your "START" position on the tiller handle is not really at start position. Turn it to a little faster & see if that helps as it will not start if set too slow, but will if set to a higher speed.

Also if you poured fuel into the spark plug holes, you in all probablity got too much in & flooded the engine, therefore requiring a lot of starter rope pulling to get rid of the excess.

Also, if the primer bulb does not get hard no matter how much you pump, (1) the carburetor float valve may not be shutting off the fuel when the bowl gets full, (flooding it) (2) you have a fuel line leak from or in the tank to the fuel pump allowing a air leak breaking the suction.