Is my Johnson motor worth repairing?

nh5111

Cadet
So, I bought a 1973 Starcraft Capri 15 with a Johnson Javelin 85HP and trailer for $500.00. I brought it to a marina to be looked over, the motor has very good compression, but there are some things that need to be replaced. One of the power packs, coils, starter gear, and spark plugs. About $800 worth of repair, which includes labor. The gears are all good in the lower unit, no metal shavings? Not very familiar with marine motors. Also the repair costs include replacing all the seals in the power tilt/trim, there was no fluid in that system. My question is it worth it to spend $800 on a 1975 Johnson 85HP motor? How long do marine motors last if they are taken care of? I looked into new motors and they are very expensive about $6000, so I think it is worth it, but I am new to boating. I have rebuilt cars, but never worked on marine motors. Any suggestions?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is my Johnson motor worth repairing?

If you are fairly handy, along with the aid of a manual and the helpful guys on here, most of your issues can be dealt with fairly easily.

How long do marine motors last if taken care of? Well I have a few from the 20s and 30s that run like a top.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is plug and play type installation. The TNT system you might want to leave to the marina if you are not familiar with it.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even with spending 800.00 dollars on the engine your only in the boat 1300.00 and with a warranty on the parts and labor so its a win win situation you can buy the parts on this site and save some money but i agree tilt and trim is something else if its low there has to be a reason good luck

eavega

Lieutenant

If compression was good, the gear set is good, and what you are basically looking at is ignition problems (given the description of parts that need to be changed out), then its definitely worth fixing. With very little mechanical ability I have managed to get motors from the 60s and 70s running in pretty short order. As the previous poster says, even putting in the $800 you are way ahead of the game as compared to a $6000 new motor that may or may not give you problems anyway!

-Rgds