Good preventative maintenance for 2005 Yamaha F60 TLRD?

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 2005 Yamaha F60 TLRD thats been giving me issues. I am going to be buying the yamaha manual and a new fuel pump and I was wondering what else I could replace while I am down there. The previous owner claims to have just done the 200 hour service but has no proof. He also changed the lower unit oil every other time the boat was used but I noticed its not Yamaha brand oil, should I switch back? What else would you guys replace while you are down there? Impeller? Oil? Sparkplugs?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Good preventative maintenance for 2005 Yamaha F60 TLRD?

Can you describe your issues?...no need to just start replacing parts, pumps, plugs, etc. before you determine what/if there is a problem. If it's "Marine Lower Unit Oil" then it should be fine, but changing it "every other time boat was used" seems a lot...usually once a year is fine. If you don't know the history of impellar replacement then go ahead and do it know, same with oil and filter. Inspect plugs and replace only if they need it. The fuel system, pumps, filters, screens, etc. is a good area to focus your preventive maintenance efforts. Maybe install a fuel/water separater type canister filter to help prevent water, debris, whatever from entering your motor. Good Luck!:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE is a class of general maintenance done to prevent expected failures.

A PREVENTATIVE is a specific procedure or product aimed at a particular possible failure.

Changing lower end oil is preventive maintenance, the new seals/gaskets under the plugs are a preventative.

Nothing personal, on_ice. Just renewing my editor card. :p

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE is a class of general maintenance done to prevent expected failures.

A PREVENTATIVE is a specific procedure or product aimed at a particular possible failure.

Changing lower end oil is preventive maintenance, the new seals/gaskets under the plugs are a preventative.

Nothing personal, on_ice. Just renewing my editor card. :p

I am not sure I understand the purpose of your post. I understand the definition of preventative and was asking for suggestions of preventative maintenance. Suggestions like replacing the impeller was a good idea, and what I was looking for. If I wanted the definition of preventative I would have looked in the dictionary.

Nothing personal, I just wanted to clarify and make sure your new editor card doesn't need to be revoked.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I explained my purpose, on_ice, and also explained that it was not personal.

You still don't understand the difference. I guess I failed. Oh, well.:redface: Carry on.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

The manual should give you maintenence intervals for everything that needs it and how often. W a used motor Its a crap shoot to what you need to do NOW. If you can explain your specific issues, you will get more specific and helpfull answers:) Might need to make another post though.