Volvo Penta AQ130D Engine

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Guys i have a 1974 bayliner with a AQ130D engine and a 270 Outdrive. (VOLVO PENTA)

Where the heck do i buy all the seals in a kit to rebuild the engine??? I always see people videos on youtube saying Rebuilt engine and stuff but i cant find a kit to buy?
So one of my mechanic friends said that the engine is basically a Car engine with a few mods for marine... He said for something that is this internal such as gaskets and stuff , i could buy a head gasket kit for a Volvo P1800 (B20) which is the exact model of my engine but mine is obviously marinized... Can someone please point me in the right direction? I wanna know if I have to go through each Diagram on one of these volvo sites and order each seal one by one or can i use the kit.... (i already bought it.. its sitting right next to me :D )
thank you in advance.
-vlad

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130D Engine

For the eng gaskets the kit will work fine. I believe the int & ex man gasket is marine specific.

From my memory the head gasket comes in different thicknesses.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply...well craft so do i have to go on there and order it one by one?
and sqbtr, what do you mean by Int & Ex man gaskets? if you meant Main gaskets.. Which are those, because i got a head gasket, and a few other gaskets... thanks you for your help i will be cruising that website later one, i just didnt wanna let that 90 dollar kit i already bought go to waste.

sqbtr

I was refering to the intake and exhaust manifold gasket, I can't remember what the auto version looked like it's been a few years since I've seen one ;)

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

You are correct, thank you, those gaskets look at tad different.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

by the way sqbtr your boat looks amazing!! i am only 22 years old and i decided to take on this project, so far there has been a few small headaches but i am taking it one step at a time, hopefully i am going to have it splashed next summer.. thats my goal

sqbtr

Thanks for the props, it's been a labor of love. One thing at a time and you will get there.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I will post pictures later today, i am no go at videos although i will have some video coverage... i have add. so i tend to blab and blab. Thank you :)
You guys have all been very smart especially Don, you, FriscoBoater... all an inspiration thank you

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Some parts are different depending on the engine serial number. I was under the impression that the 130D was typically paired with the 280 outdrive. The serial number will tell you for sure.

There's no problem with using automotive gaskets, rings, and bearings as long as the part numbers match the marine version.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

It is paired with a 280 originally. But i have a 270 with original 270 bell housing, I talked with the marine place where i live and they said it would work fine....
But i am pissed!!!
my machining guy just called me and said when he was cleaning up my head, the Cylinder head has a crack between valve seats..... :(
now im hunting down a head...
I was also told if i could find a Volvo p1800 cylinder head, it would be cheaper and it would work no problem because they use the same head... its other things like crankshaft or camshaft that i cannot replace, and timing belt vs gears... if anyone has some insight, or where I can look for a new Cylinder head for the boat please let me know thank you.
-vlad

RogersJetboat454

Commander

the Cylinder head has a crack between valve seats..... :(
now im hunting down a head...
I was also told if i could find a Volvo p1800 cylinder head, it would be cheaper and it would work no problem because they use the same head... its other things like crankshaft or camshaft that i cannot replace, and timing belt vs gears... if anyone has some insight, or where I can look for a new Cylinder head for the boat please let me know thank you.
-vlad

Seems like some of these Volvo castings were prone to head cracks. My 170B had a crack in one of the exhaust valve seats that they were able to repair with a hardened seat.

I would be cautious about pulling anything from a car. You have to know what head your looking at, because I believe the combustion chambers on these heads changed from time to time to raise/lower compression.

There is a place in Canada I found that specializes in used Volvo parts; http://www.chapmanmotors.ca/index.html
Obviously shipping, and possible duty would be cost restrictive. There may be other places out there on this side of the boarder that has used parts.

Your engine, regardless if it was installed in a car or boat would have not been equipped with a timing belt. You are thinking of the later OHC 2.1/2.3L engines. The timing gears used should still be available.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Oh i dont need the timing belt or gears. I have the gears and it works fine. The engine ran, it just sucks that the head is cracked.!!! thank you though i called that place, and the guy Paul said he would check and call me back... its only $170 which is ok since i live in Everett, WA which is just below vancouver. thank you very much

RogersJetboat454

Commander

thank you though i called that place, and the guy Paul said he would check and call me back... its only $170 which is ok since i live in Everett, WA which is just below vancouver. thank you very much

Your welcome. Like I said though, just be sure they get you something that matches your CR as close as possible. Valve size may be little different too. On my 170, the popular thing to do is use the 164 auto head when a marine one is unable to be found. The injected head needs to have the injector holes tapped and plugged (Volvo had the injectors in the intake ports of the head rather than the intake), and if I remember correctly, the valve size is the same as the original marine example, but the CR is lower. Carbed version of the head (if I remember correctly) may or may not have the same valve size, and CR (depending on the year/market), as the marine example.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Any of the B20 heads will work. Even a newer head from a fuel injected engine will work and you can plug the injector holes with core plugs. I've seen some pretty sloppy valve seat repairs and also some heads that were all eaten up from salt water. Make sure you strike a deal that you can return the head and get your money back if it's not useable or undesirable. It's worth the money to have a shop clean it up and perform an inspection for you to see if it's any good.

Edit - Looks like you and I were responding at the same time. You must be faster :D

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your feedback guys, I will be bringing my old head to match it up. He thinks he has one for my exact head model the only thing i will need to do is have a Hole machined for the Temperature sensor by the thermostat hole. The one he found was from a p1800 so I will bring it down, and the guy said he will clean check and inspect the head when he pulls it but that i can take it to machine shop and get it Magnetic particle inspected for cracks and if it has cracks he will refund the money. thank you.
-vlad

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

So i just got a call back from Paul in canada. He said he does have a head, he is going right now to pull it and have his guy clean it and inspect all of the high pressure areas where the combustion happens and such to make sure it doesnt have cracks...

Does anyone know why this head cracked in between the valve seats like that? i will post up all my pictures of boat and motor disassembly and such, and also the valve seat crack today... The engine ran fine, the only problem was when i came to take apart the engine I found a bunch of gunk in the thermostat housing. i will post a video explaining my story later as well. thank you :)
-vlad

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Does anyone know why this head cracked in between the valve seats like that? -vlad

2 things.
Previous overheat, or flaws in the casting/materials.

I'm sure theres probably lots of old fine running engines out there with head cracks that nobody's the wiser about. Only when the crack extends into the cooling passages, drops a valve seat, or causes a running condition, is when people notice them.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Well i guess its a good thing that i took this engine apart and desided to do the rebuild. Thanks once again everyone..
-vlad

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Got back from canada just now. New head that came off the Automobile looks exactly like it just there is a couple holes that will need to be plugged or they will be naturally plugged by the block, and also there is a hole that i need to drill right next to the Thermostat housing. I will post pictures later. I will update this thread with a link to my Boat Restoration thread hopefully some time this week :) Thanks for all of your great advice.
-vlad