Fuel capacity for 1984 Sunrunner 23' coastal cruiser?

Hi guys, I'm looking at an 84 Sunrunner 23.5' Coastal Cruiser and the seller said the tank is less than a hundred to fill, which sounds crazy... I want a boat for fishing in the delta as well as the San Francisco bay... Anyone know the size of the fuel tank these bad boys come with? I don't want to buy a boat that can't get very far out. He said it's gas mileage is great but I don't know if it's gonna work for my needs.. Any ideas?

Thanks,
N&M

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel capacity for 1984 Sunrunner 23' coastal cruiser?

For a 23' boat, you can figure somewhere in the 50-100 gallon range. Sorry that it's such a wide margin, but tank sizes vary with the design of the boat.

The only way to know, aside from having the original manual, is to measure the tank. L x W x H (in inches), divide the total by 231 and you will have the capacity in gallons. The problem with that method is if the tank bottom is V shaped to match the hull contour.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

There should be a manufacturer's capacity tag on the tank itself, right by the fuel pickup. It's usually accessible via a deck inspection plate

shrew

Lieutenant

The national average price of mid-grade (prices will vary by location and whether the gas station is on water or land) is $3.68. So the owner is telling you that for under $100 to fill, you have a 27 gallon fuel tank? Is he telling you it cost under $100 10 years ago, or that whenever he "Tops Off" the fuel tank, it is typically under $100? So then what is 'tops-off' to him? That would be relative to how far and how long you run the boat. This sounds like he's trying to tell you what you want to hear. Don't measure capacity by cost, measure it by volume.