Winter Cover Frame for a Small Bowrider - Any Ideas?

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I?m thinking about building a frame (pvc, wood, something else?) to put on my boat to support a winter cover. The boat is a 1999 Sea Ray 180 bowrider with an outboard. I just purchased it this spring, so this will be my first winter with the boat. Previous owner used a canvas garage.

I?d like to hear from anyone who?s done something similar before. How/where did you attach to the boat? What did you use for the cover? Pictures would be great!

My reasons for doing this are to keep snow, rain, debris, small animals out of the boat. I have cockpit and bow covers, but I doubt they?ll be able to support much snow.

Thanks,
Scott

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winter Cover Frame for a Small Bowrider - Any Ideas?

I shrink wrap mine. There are you tube videos on how to do it.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

shrinkwrap is the best bang for your buck. but what ive done in the past is go get about 13 untreated cheap 2x4s. make a triangle in the front, and one in the back, on the ground but extending up higher than the boat, then build one around the center of the boat (so 3 triangles) then tie in the remaining 2x4 from front to middle to rear...then i drape a tarp over it and stake it to the ground so the whole setup is using the ground to bear the snowload, not the canvas, or boat floor, etc.

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jerryh3 - what do you put over that as a cover?

If I shrinkwrap, don't I still need a frame to support the material? What would this frame look like, and how would it attach to the boat?

Thanks,
Scott

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jerryh3 - what do you put over that as a cover?

If I shrinkwrap, don't I still need a frame to support the material? What would this frame look like, and how would it attach to the boat?

Thanks,
Scott

I used this cover. Didn't want my mooring cover exposed all winter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MS8LJQ

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi all,

I?m thinking about building a frame (pvc, wood, something else?) to put on my boat to support a winter cover. The boat is a 1999 Sea Ray 180 bowrider with an outboard. I just purchased it this spring, so this will be my first winter with the boat. Previous owner used a canvas garage.

I?d like to hear from anyone who?s done something similar before. How/where did you attach to the boat? What did you use for the cover? Pictures would be great!

My reasons for doing this are to keep snow, rain, debris, small animals out of the boat. I have cockpit and bow covers, but I doubt they?ll be able to support much snow.Thanks,
Scott

You are exactly correct. Do NOT rely on cockpit covers if you get snow. The snow load will tear the snaps right out of the canvas or it will sag the canvas and allow water and ice to pool and build up. Letting snow build up on these covers is a great way to end up with a big canvas repair bill AND a huge mess inside your boat that causes other damage.

I store all my aluminum fishing boats outside in the winter. What I do is build a a simple frame using 2X4 and 2X6 lumber and then use a heavy duty tarp.

I start by putting together at least 2 supports by screwing together a base using a 2-3 foot length of 2X6 and then the upright piece is a 2X4. The pieces look like an inverted T.

The I run a continious length of 2X4 between one upright positioned in the bow and one in the stern. On my 16 foot boats, this means having a continious run of over 16 feet, so I sister the 2X4s together with gusset plates made of plywood.

Now round off any sharp corners using a belt sander. Anything sharp that touches a tarp will eventually cause it to tear.

Then firmly stetch a tarp over the frame and secure it with bungees to the trailer. The tarp should be taunt, but not overtight or it will tear easily in the wind. Some trial and error is required, so save the tarp packaging so you can return it if you buy the wrong size. And once you get the right size, write it down! Tarps need to be replaced every 3 or so years if you by a heavy duty one. Light duty ones will be lucky to last one winter.

The key is to consider how much peak height you need and size your uprights accordingly. You want snow and water to easily slide or run ALL THE WAY off the boat and not pool up at the rail which will collapse the tarp eventually. Most people underestimate the height needed.

I'm in Minnesota so snow load is THE issue. On my 16 foot boats, peak height has to be at least 4 feet from the hull so that there is enough pitch for snow to slide overboard as it falls instead of building up. This arrangement looks a little odd, it looks like an army is camped in my back yard, but it is VERY effecive and durable. It's also cheap and reusable.

Word of caution on DIY shrink wrapping. Be very, very carful and understand there is a significant danger of fire unless you do it properly and follow all safety precautions. I would not even CONSIDER attempting this without a large fire extinguisher readily accessible. 3 years ago a DIY shrink wrapper incinerated a dozen boats in a local marina and damaged many others. In many cases you are shrink wrapping what amounts to a giant fuel tank and for many it's a giant FULL fuel tank. Fire = a very bad situation.

Grouse

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

1. Cover boat with regular cover

2. I run a cable over the entire length of the boat. About 7.5 feet up. The cable is attached to a vertical 4x4 at the end. I put 4x4 in a cement block. Drive a couple pieces of rebar inside of block so it doesnt move. Higher part of 4x4 is strapped to winch post. Other end of cable is easier..screw eye into tree. I get that cable tight.

3. use 1x2's as ribs. Attach to cable with hook-snap deals. About 4 each side spaced over length of boat.

4. Drape 2nd cover over the cable and bunge it down. Last year I user an old billboard I bought on ebay for $35. Very heavy but great.

The beauty is now you have air between the tarps. You can even take off lower tarp and get in boat while still covered by top tarp. Have been doing this way for a few years. 22 inches last year in one storm and no issues

jkust

Rear Admiral

Have done exactly what Grouse above has done. I'm in MN as well. My 84 Bayliner purchased new in 84 at the boat show, has been stored outside every year but maybe 4 of them and the set up works well and still looks like a nearly new boat inside. A bit of a pain to set up each year but it works really well. We finally built a garage that it has lived in the last couple winters.

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone for these suggestions! For some reason, I had in my mind that I had to attach bows or some support going side-to-side, and that is what I wasn't sure how to do. Now with the methods Grouse and backyardhockey2 described, I'm much more relieved. I guess I've seen too many big sailboats prepped for covers, and I'm forgetting that my boat is only 18'.

Thanks,
Scott